Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bucket training badger faced sheep  (Read 1452 times)

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
Bucket training badger faced sheep
« on: February 24, 2018, 12:01:14 pm »
I have recently got two in-lamb badger faced sheep. I've had them one week so far where they've been in a small paddock next to the barn (roughly 35ft sq) I go out twice a day with 'cake' feed in a two buckets (one each). At first they didn't want to know so I rattled the buckets then scattered the feed on the ground and let them eat it. Then put the bucket down and moved away and they ate from the bucket. Then brought the buckets to them and sat quietly and they ate near me. The last two days I have sat on the far side and they came across and fed quite happily right by me.

I want to let them into one of the bigger paddocks (about an acre) on the other side of the fence to where they are as they are running out of grass in the smaller pre-paddock. Do you think one week is enough to establish their reliability to come to the bucket? I do not have a sheep dog so am relying on the bucket to move them. I want the small paddock to rest while I wait for them to lamb (so there's a safe grazing place after lambing where I can bring them in at night to keep safe from foxes) but want to be able to get them in at lambing time. Obviously I will continue to sit with the buckets every day in the big paddock too, probably near the gate to the small paddock.

Any advice? Thank you in advance!  :thumbsup: :sheep:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Bucket training badger faced sheep
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 06:01:41 pm »
I have BFs and they learn to come to the bucket from the nanny ewe we run with them after weaning.  Knowing their temperament I suggest, in your case, giving them hay in the small paddock for another week to fix the idea that you = bucket firmly in their minds.  Once they're properly trained to the bucket they'll probably floor you in their eagerness to get to it.

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
Re: Bucket training badger faced sheep
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 02:13:19 pm »
So they'll be OK on just hay and cake and just short grass for another week? They also have a crystalyx high energy lick. They've both scanned with twins.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS