Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello all, another newbie looking for a patch of land  (Read 4561 times)

asian_fella

• Joined Aug 2010
Hello all, another newbie looking for a patch of land
« on: August 07, 2010, 06:33:50 pm »
I am Faz, 34 years old currently living in Oxford but would love to live on a rural self sufficient piece of land with my young family. I currently buy and sell classic 4x4 vehicles and I hope to have a small workshop/sales yard on the land as well.

I was born in a rural part of Punjab where most people had some land and livestock which they relied upon for their "bread & butter", I lived in this environment till I was 9 years old when my father decided to bring his family over to the UK. I have fond memories of the village life, helping in the fields, gathering crops, riding on the tractor and milking our cows etc ..... it was great from what I can remember and I wish to buy a small holding to live on (-off)

I would like to buy land within 75 miles of Oxford if at all possible, Warwickshire, Northants, Wiltshire, south Midlands would be ideal - but will consider other areas, I know Lincolnshire and parts of Wales are cheaper to buy but not sure if I want to move that far away from Oxford.

Budget..... well I can afford a mortgage of £300,000 and would like a smallholding with at least 4 bedrooms and land of 5 to 25 acres.

Any and all information, hints and tips will be much appreciated.

Faz
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 06:48:48 pm by asian_fella »

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Hello all, another newbie looking for a patch of land
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 06:37:13 pm »
Hi Faz and welcome to the forum  :)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 06:43:10 pm »
Hello from a sunny Fife. :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 06:48:21 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Faz, and good luck with your search.  That's a fairly healthy budget so try some of the agricultural agencies, and rural estate agents.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 08:03:30 pm »
hello and welcome
Little Blue

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 08:20:09 pm »
Hi and welcome from Suffolk.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 08:36:40 pm »
Hi Faz
I'm south worcestershire/cotswolds borders and we have a smallholding here. I will keep my eyes peeled locally and let you know if I see anything!

Lisa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 08:48:25 pm »
Hi Faz  Welcome to the forum from Scotland.  It's a lovely life you are planning for you and your family.  It took us two years to find our smallholding and by then our children had gone off to uni, so now the grandchildren can enjoy it, but it's not quite the same as growing up here.  Good luck and keep us in the picture as you search for your ideal place and get set up.  With your budget, you could easily spend it all on the house, so don't forget that the land is the important bit as houses can always be extended  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 08:49:23 am »
Hi and welcome, hope it all works well for you

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 09:07:32 am »
Hello and welcome from sunny Devon  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

asian_fella

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 01:18:53 pm »
Thank you all for a warm welcome  :)

Having looked around a few sites with rural property for sale I have found that Wales, Shropshire and East Anglia are the areas with most properties in my price range.

Perhaps Shropshire would be the best choice due to its central-ish location so never too far from anywhere......

The sites I found with rural property for sale:-

Rural scene
UK land and farms

Any other good sites I should be looking at?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 01:25:13 pm »
I studied rural scene at every available opportunity but then we found this house quite by accident. Its a nice site but I think I would be inclined to use right move or another internet site and look for houses with land - i know there is no exact drop down option for land but its worth the trawl!

there was a 5 acre holding in cleeve prior, which is 2 miles from here. it had outbuildings and everything - it was well under £400 000.  worth checking? its situated near evesham so south worcestershire/cotswolds borders. prob 45 mins drive from oxford on a good day  :) 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

asian_fella

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 01:37:03 pm »
Thank you Lisa, I will check it out.

Sandy

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 01:52:09 pm »
Hi from Clackmannan, central Scotland, keep us informed, I love looking at  houses and other peoples.....living of the land can be hard toil but rewarding, I only keep a few hens and a pair of ducks, your dreams will come true.

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 02:04:00 pm »
Hi and welcome Faz.

I like the sound of the vintage 4x4's - I hope they are Land Rovers. I love Land Rovers myself I have a half rebuilt 110 blocking up my garage at the moment and may be looking for a series 2 when that's sorted.

Chris.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS