Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A discussion on smallholder sharing  (Read 2403 times)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
A discussion on smallholder sharing
« on: February 20, 2018, 02:13:11 pm »
After reading the Smallholders dream tread  I was left with loads of questions/ ideas so rather than hijack your thread Rosemary I thought I'd start another.....

My first question directly from Rosemary's post was   the idea was to share profit 60/40 .... is this a fair split for the proposed partnership?  (please read A smallholders Dream for details)   also as most of us know profits are hard to get so what happens in years of losses? 
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: A discussion on smallholder sharing
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 04:53:57 pm »
I think it sounds like a really good way for someone to get into small holding. With regard to,profit split, initially much of the capital investment is coming from the owner, so initially it seems reasonable for them to take larger share. With time, there could be agreement to gradually change profit share, perhaps depending on input from incoming partner - new ideas, innovations, increased profits. Years of limited / low profits - these happen, due to weather, unexpected animal losses etc - again, profit share would need to be discussed between partners. It is an interesting proposition, allowing young people to get into small holding, whilst giving help to those feeling the toll of too many years hard work.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 05:00:48 pm »
It depends on the circumstances of course, but I can't help feeling that produce sharing would work better than profit sharing in most cases.

For example, somebody would be welcome to help us out on our holding in return for a fair share of the spoils. If they're hoping for an income though, they could be waiting a while!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 06:00:49 pm »
Is the work going to be split 60/40 as well?
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 07:47:17 pm »
the only glaring problem i could see was that the work needed to be done at a specific time of day.  surely most who are interested would  want a full time job and work on the smallholding before and after work. just a thought.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 08:49:42 am »
Is the work going to be split 60/40 as well?

You have to take into account the "capital" as well as the "revenue" input.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 05:18:40 pm »
I tried pig share, it didn't really work out. I ended up doing most of the work and despite a contract on what the would do and when, they didn't, so I got pretty p**d off.
  I have Dexters as lodgers with a contract so we will see how that works out.
  Then I tried free rental in return for six hours works a week, so they could have had a job. No takers and some enquiries from some pretty odd people. So I rented out the room and pay someone to help so I have ended up in profit.
 I would rather rent out a room and pay someone who knows what they are doing to help. You can earn up to £7,500 tax free. Then employ someone freelance as and when you need them. Then if you do not get a long their is no long term commitment.
  My helper who I trust totally, I can pay well and my lodger is Mon-Fri so the house is our own at the weekends.
https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/rent-a-room-scheme-how-it-works-and-tax-rules

I think until you have owned land and had the full responsibility of animals you have no idea the amount of thought and money it takes. The experience owner notices things without apparent effort, so the onlooker thinks you are doing nothing, so does nothing and wonders why things end up on three legs or you've run out of hay.
  I am sloppy and untidy, but a stickler for food, water and welfare, so I would try many people mad as I could not care less if the yard is not swept, but there is always two weeks food in stock. The only thing that is tidy is the muck heap.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS