Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cyclic breeding GOS  (Read 6760 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
cyclic breeding GOS
« on: December 01, 2007, 12:11:16 pm »
I have read an article which suggests this is probably not the best way to go, so will continue with the original ideas. 

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: cyclic breeding GOS
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 11:15:41 am »
Someone asked for info on cyclic breeding, cant find the reference now.  Apologies anyway for not getting back sooner.

Here is my version of cyclic breeding.  For more in depth info the GOS Club are very helpful.

Cyclic breeding: In the 60’s George Styles evolved the system to avoid accidental in-breeding.

The 15 female GOS bloodlines were divided between four colour groups.  Each colour group relating to one of the 4 male bloodlines. 

The daughters of the female carry the female name, the males are named according to the colour group of the boar’s dam.  The name given relates to the colour group with which he can be mated.  The male offspring of a sow in the red group is always named Sambo and would mate with females from the black group.  The boars resulting from this mating being Patricks who would mate with sows from the Green group.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 09:00:07 pm »
is this system used with other species? can you tell me what its aims or purpose is,  I came across a ouessant pedigree tonight that is very odd sire and dam names throughout are all the same eva10 or eva 11 etc I thought the guy was just unimaginative with his names but maybe this is what they are up to!
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 07:38:11 am »
I think its used just for GOS pigs, the male bloodlines had reduced to 4 the females to 15.  The system was devised to help to limit accidental inbreeding.  Regretably I know nothing about sheep breeding, it would work though for breeds with very limited bloodlines.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 07:45:32 am »
ahh OK. that would make sense. so the guy is just unimaginative ;D

Happy new year everyone!

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 10:09:36 am »
Hi just googled cyclic breeding seems it is a system used amongst breeders of a number of species of animals . however it would be interesting to discover what the inbreeding coefficient of this system was? has anyone worked it out?  I use herdmate which is a pedigree database system which also allows you to calculate inbreeding coefficients of a pedigree and a proposed pedigree as well as the relationship coefficient.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS