Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Painting raised beds  (Read 2640 times)

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Painting raised beds
« on: February 17, 2018, 07:46:56 pm »
Was doing some thinking this afternoon whilst processing some firewood. Would painting the raised beds black help absorb heat and thus help get the soil warmer earlier? I know it may sound like a stupid thing but it all started when my son asked me why the fridge freezer was white. I explained it was to reflect heat away and this got the old grey matter smoking.

Any thoughts?
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

cans

• Joined May 2013
Re: Painting raised beds
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 08:00:47 pm »

What will help to raise the soil temperature would be covering the raised beds with the dreaded black plastic.
We are thinking about doing this but still have to figure out how to get the plastic secure in the bed and not flying around the allotment site at the first big wind.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 12:05:20 am »
Because wood is such a good insulator, I can't see much advantage of painting the outside of your raised beds - if the wood is thick enough to support the beds adequately then it will be too thick to transfer heat to the inside. As Cans says, best to cover the beds to warm them up or if they're deep then put fresh manure in the deep bottom so that will warm the soil as it rots down.   We do have a couple of raised beds although we mostly grow on the flat.  We painted the beds with the same coloured preservative as our multicoloured hen houses and compost heaps - just because it looks pretty  ::)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 09:58:40 am »

What will help to raise the soil temperature would be covering the raised beds with the dreaded black plastic.
We are thinking about doing this but still have to figure out how to get the plastic secure in the bed and not flying around the allotment site at the first big wind.
Dig a narrow trench and bury the edges of the plastic. That works for me

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 02:10:59 pm »
My raised beds are 2 and a half feet deep at least.  Chicken shed residue on the bottom which consists of shredded paper and guana.  A really thick layer of that - about a foot or more.  Then good compost on top (or not so good depending on what I want to grow).  Beds are made of old pallet wood, so about an inch think.  If you put a rod right to the bottom it comes out really warm.  So I can't see a need for additional insulation.

Needs topping up every year, but plenty of chicken mature here, and an occasional top up of compst if equired.  Rotation of raised beds of course - I have four one metre square and two which are one meter by two metres.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 02:33:19 pm »

I put old tyres and bricks on top of the plastic and it held it for several months last summer killing all grass and weeds underneath.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

hannermwnci

• Joined Sep 2017
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 06:39:43 pm »
your not likely to gain anything from painting the wood black. Best bet for warming the soil is a black liner on top, or better still a good layer of mulch or even better well rotted compost.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 09:11:59 pm »
Cheers everyone. It was at least worth the ask. Best i get on and build the things now then or the OH will not be best pleased
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS