Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: feather eaters  (Read 2510 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
feather eaters
« on: February 13, 2018, 09:15:30 pm »
I'm still trying to normalise my rescue hens, which is some task... I've never had even seen so much damage and neurosis (not that I can blame them). For almost 2 weeks they've been fighting, biting each other bloody and eating each other's feathers. First time ever in almost a decade the purple spray came out. They have plenty of food in different places, 5 of them share a house and good run suitable for 8-10. I suppose it will get better once they can get into the orchard but they still need to get some strength back from the moult and trauma before they can encounter my 2 giant elderlies up close....any other advice than patience?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: feather eaters
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 09:29:57 pm »
I suggest spraying wounds with blue antibiotic spray to make them less likely to be attacked in the same place again.  Do they have objects like an old chair or hay bale the weaker ones can dive behind for cover?  Hang up several bunches of leaves or long-stalked grass just out of reach so they have to jump for it and give a scatter feed several times a day.  Keep them as busy as you can.  Depending on their strain and previous experience thay may take a very long time to become civilised.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 10:51:20 am »
How is Blue or Purple violet (what I use) spray supposed to work? Is it just an antiseptic?I sprayed it on bleeding feather stumps and the others went for it as if Christmas had come early :( They must have thought it was blood, next thing is purple ended feathers everywhere....Certainly doesn't work as a deterrent

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 12:58:19 pm »
It depends on what you have. Some sprays are just antiseptic, whilst others (e.g. blue 'cyclo' spray) are antibiotic and hence prescription only.

We actually have some purple footrot spray that I'm not entirely convinced contains anything at all. The label just says 'contains violet'  :-[ .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 09:52:05 am »
Hens are attracted to the red end of the spectrum.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 10:16:57 am »
How easy are they to catch and hold onto? If you can catch them, you could try a thick layer of Sudocrem on the bloody bits. It will cover the blood, give protection and make the feathers more difficult to get hold of. The other option are beak bridles, which stop them pulling feathers but they can still eat and drink.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 07:19:39 pm »
How is Blue or Purple violet (what I use) spray supposed to work? Is it just an antiseptic?I sprayed it on bleeding feather stumps and the others went for it as if Christmas had come early :( They must have thought it was blood, next thing is purple ended feathers everywhere....Certainly doesn't work as a deterrent

Oh dear, that's a first, normally purple spray stops it  :thinking:    (maybe they're colour blind?  ;)   )
I've used flour from the kitchen cupboard once, to put on a feather (close to an eye) that was cut and dripped a bit of blood which then spread even closer to the eye. I didn't use the flour as an antiseptic but just sprinkled it on the blood to clog it all up, that worked well, maybe if one day you need to cover a minor bleed like a feather that could be an option?

Northfifeduckling, maybe your giant elderlies would be just the ticket? They might be like two experienced, firm grannies keeping the kids in check?  :)   

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 09:00:47 am »
A cockerel, fully mature, often sorts out spats between hens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS