Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My 11 year old is interested in learning to brew  (Read 32168 times)

Melias farm

• Joined Feb 2022
Re: My 11 year old is interested in learning to brew
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2022, 06:52:14 am »
I am not sure why nobody has so far stated the obvious.... if you as the parent of an 11 yo purchase brewing equipment for him you are breaking the law....

How can anybody even suggest that he starts with

My family aren’t from England. Our culture is different. We are happy for kids to have watered down (or very laminaided down) alcohol. Only if I give it to him.
It is legal in the uk for it to be sold to me and for him to make it and consume a small amount.

He’s finishing fermenting his beer now. We are buying wine next. He’s loving it.
Thank you everyone for for advice

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2022, 04:40:09 pm »
If you live in another country then you must follow the law of that country.

I don't know where you live.

However, if you live in the UK you must follow the law of the UK which I detailed in my previous post.

Either way, , that doesn't change my last paragraph -

viz
I agree, it would be unwise and irresponsible to allow an 11 year old to brew an alcoholic substance.

There are plenty of other things in science that he can safely play with and wine and beer are not two of them

JMHO as a mum and grannie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

suzi

• Joined Jul 2022
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2023, 10:44:57 am »
Thank you for the replies.

I really didn’t mean to creat a stir about buying this for him.

He isn’t drinking any of it. He simply wanted to try doing it.
Denying a child a learning opportunity in my eyes is insane in my eyes.
He’s moved into making vinegars now. He’s made about 100 bottles of beer. He loved making it. Watching the chemical reactions. He’s smelt the result but knows I won’t allow him to drink it (even though at home it IS legal).
His adult brother and myself have tried it and can honestly say it’s lovely.
He’s making apple cider vinegar now. He won’t be drinking that either 😂

Personally I believe I’m giving  kids the opportunity to be responsible. He can learn the process of beer. Realise it’s fun and not a huge deal.
I was brought up having a sip then watered down glass of something like wine. In now rarely touch anything other than water or weak squash.

Whatever people views on this are it works for my family

Thank you for your help. I bought a fantastic kit that he’s loved doing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2023, 12:13:15 pm »
He's clearly had an enjoyable learning experience and whether it is appropriate or not is, as you say, down to individuals opinion. You are obviously supervising him and have laid down some rules so it has worked for you and your family.

I wouldn't however agree with your statement about "denying a child a learning experience is insane". That is a broad sweeping statement and actually some experiences definitely are not appropriate for children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS