Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: feeding sheep barley  (Read 3770 times)

angusrr

• Joined Jun 2017
feeding sheep barley
« on: February 11, 2018, 04:18:55 pm »
I've been helping out on a neighbouring farm which finishes cattle and the farmer has offered me some barley for free to give to my sheep.I have some lambs which are being fed ewe nuts and a few in lamb ewes which are just getting hay and brewers grains. I know it needs to be introduced slowly but was wondering how much to start with and how quickly to increase the amount?
Thanks

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: feeding sheep barley
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 06:42:54 pm »
Start small say 50g for a few days then 100g for a few days  etc

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 07:18:06 am »
I give my ewes a handful of barley each day to warm their bellies in winter. I hadn't thought of increasing this any, I just thought of it as a bit of a treat. But my silage stocks are running low and I could do with trying to make them last a bit longer. How much can they have a day?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 08:18:08 pm »
Please do a lot of research , barley is low in protein and high in energy also low in certain minerals , this is why it is normally fed with other feeds , some farmers feed barley and pot ale syrup together or barley and  a high protein pellet .  IV'E read some Austrailian  sites that talk about feeding 700g per day but you have to take a long period getting up to this amount

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 09:17:05 pm »
I wouldn't ever use it as a complete feed, just curious as to how much they can potentially be given as an addition to silage/hay etc. in the winter.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS