Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Plum recipes please  (Read 7459 times)

CarolW

• Joined Aug 2010
Plum recipes please
« on: August 05, 2010, 09:07:44 pm »
Hi there, does anyone have any plum recipes please?  I would like to make some plum jam, but not sure what else I could make with them.
Thankyou

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Plum recipes please
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 05:29:20 pm »
we make plum wine, plum chutney and plum crumble - last year I did duck in plum sauce to which was nice! we've made over 100L of wine so far this year from 4 trees, 68 tree's to go (I hate plums every august i do lol!!)

plum chutney by the gorgeous james martin  ;)
500 g dark red plums
2 shallots, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
100ml white wine vinegar
3 tbsp water
1 cinnamon stick
100g demerara sugar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method
1. Cut the plums in half down the crease, twist the halves in opposite directions and pull apart. Prise out the stones and discard. Roughly chop the flesh.

2. Place the chopped shallots in a heavy-based, non-reactive saucepan with the olive oil and heat until sizzling. Sauté gently for 5 minutes until softened.

3. Add the chopped plums, vinegar, water, cinnamon and sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved, then simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and slightly thickened.

4. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 100-120°C /gas 1-2. Place a clean medium-sized jam jar in the oven to warm. When the plum chutney is ready, spoon it into the warm jar. Seal with a lid and leave to cool completely.

Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 06:38:18 pm »
I knew you'd reply to that one Lisa!  :P

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 07:22:24 pm »
 ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

CarolW

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 09:05:38 pm »
Thank you I will try this, we have 2 plum trees and I think that is hard work!! we are taking a week off work to use them up.

We've never made wine (just started with homebrew lager this year) - could you forward instructions when you've got a minute?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 08:42:08 am »
Hubby makes it Carol - he uses country wine kits from Wineworks and it has everything with a brilliant quick delivery service.
all he add's to the plums is raisins, sugar and the sachets from the kits.
its knocks our socks off - numb from the feet up is how last years wine was described!

we also sell at the farm gate but living in Evesham area its like offering coals for sale in Newcastle lol!! those that do buy them buy loads though  :)

CarolW

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 09:48:21 am »
Hi, gonna try the plum chutney this afternoon so will let you know how i get on - i think i am going to double up on the quantity -just picked about 20lb  plums !! also gonna try the wine !
 :yum:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 10:03:26 am »
definately try the wine!!! we are up to 240L now - it makes perfect xmas presents!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 07:45:30 pm »
I can't keep up with processing these year, it's been brilliant.
I ended up making compote (just cook them in the oven with sugar to taste on 180 for an hour or so (until they are as soft as you like them)), then freeze in batches for cakes and tarts. American cheesecake or meringue tart, use the plums as the fruit topping or middle. Once thawed I add a tablespoon of cornflour in red wine to thicken and bring to boil before putting it on the cake. :&>

Talbert121

• Joined Nov 2010
  • LA
  • Just looking around.
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 11:24:42 am »
125 g (4 oz) shortcrust pastry
1 stick (8 Tbsp) 115 g (4 oz) butter
1/2 cup (125 g) 4 oz caster sugar (superfine granulated)
1 egg, separated, plus 1 egg yolk
1/4 cup (25 g) 1 oz ground almonds
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) almond flavoring
3/4 cup (75 g) 4 oz self raising (self rising) flour
2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
2 tbsp (30 ml) milk
90 ml (6 level tbsp) plum jam
1/4 cup (25 g) 1 oz flaked almonds
Method
Butter and base-line a 21.5 cm (8 1/2-inch) straight-sided sandwich tin. Roll out the pastry and use to line the tin, prick well with a fork. Bake blind in the oven at 200°C (400°F) mark 6 for 10 -15 minutes until just set. Whisk the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the egg yolks one by one, and stir in ground almonds and flavoring. Fold in the flour, lemon juice and milk. Whisk one egg white and gently mix into the mixture. Spread the jam over the pastry base. Spoon over the cake mixture, level and sprinkle with flaked almonds. Bake in the oven at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 until golden brown and firm to the touch, about 30 minutes. Cool in the tin.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 09:02:54 am »
I only have 3 plum trees but could live off 1 and still not keep up with the fruit :o

Have done jam, chutney etc but one year's make lasts me 3-4 years so a lot often gets donated to the local cat shelter lady who carboots them at £1 a punnet and I reckon I should be doing that myself this year if I'm still here :)

Mostly once I've done one main thing and had a few crumbles and tarts, I freeze the rest in batches and use it up for puddings in winter but I am often so sick of plums that I don't eat any until late December or early January out of the freezer..

It crossed my mind that they aren't dissimilar from damsons and I wondered about plum gin or something similar - has anyone tried it and can recommend a spirit to add?  I'm not keen on brandy as it comes out of a bottle, nor vodka come to that, so I'd have to buy in the liquor specially and don't want to waste it if it's not going to be yummy to me :)

I could sell off the excess of course, of all the above, but am worried about the state of my kitchen in terms of getting a council inspection so at the moment it's just for me and maybe a few gifts.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 09:28:51 pm »
Ellied - if oyu are still there next year, i will happy barter your plums for whatever i have that you fancy....apples/rasps/currants/pots/peas/beans...........let me know.
laura

Sandy

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 11:01:07 pm »
 ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS