Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from a (sort of) newbie in Lanarkshire  (Read 3629 times)

HappyHippy

Hello from a (sort of) newbie in Lanarkshire
« on: September 03, 2008, 05:49:28 pm »
Hello there,
I've been visiting this site for a while now - it inspired a couple of weaners being raised last year and decided to finally sit down and introduce myself.
I was born and brought up in this area and after a brief stint in rural Aberdeenshire found myself back in the area with a husband and two kids in tow !
So I'm back on the redundant family farm, which has shrunk from 230 acres to 130 acres due to the 'credit crunch' (or something like that !) and desperate to get going. The only problem is all but 3 of the most inaccesible acres have been planted with foresty type trees. So for the moment I'm reduced to weaners in the back garden, a few veggies and dreams of chickens and bigger things as soon as cash and conditions allow!
I'm sure I'll be a regular poster as I hit every hurdle imaginable and look forward to getting to know everybody - you all seem such a nice bunch !
Ta ta for now,
Karen ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Hello from a (sort of) newbie in Lanarkshire
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 06:04:22 pm »
Welcome, Karen.  I'm in Clacks, just moved from rural ABerdeenshire where I grew up.  I'm starting over my chicken flock with 4 Light Sussex from teh lovely Carol, and four Ex batts coming in 2 weeks time, plus added a white Campbell to my three Khakis. So far they have cost me a chicken shed at £107, and fencing at £143, apart from bedding and feed - so where the profit is in eggs I don't know!
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 07:12:12 pm »
Hi Karen

Welcome to the TAS forums! What a fabulous challenge! Where about in Lanarkshire are you?

What an excuse for working ponies!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 07:47:33 pm »
I'm out in the wilds of Lesmahagow, but only 10 minutes from M74. So nice and handy for getting everywhere.
Ponies sound like a great idea, only problem is the only experience of horsemanship I have was a very fat, grumpy pet shetland pony ! lol!
I did think about Eriskay ponies, but it's all fallen by the wayside. I'm thinking that the trees will have been in for 10 years in 2010 so should be quite pig resistant by then - they've done well surviving the deer and rabbits - and I'm kind of going towards a wee wild herd of Tamworths or Iron Age pigs to roam!
I'm also really keen to plant an orchard and have joined Clyde Valley Orchard Group in the hope of gaining advice from experienced growers in the area - plans of cider making and bee keeping fill my head most of the time (only really a problem when I'm at work though)
At the moment I'm confined to weekend activity, which due to lack of funds, consists mainly of digging muck, trying to construct coldframes and pouring over seed catalouges - but better days are coming & I can't wait to get stuck in. Hopefully next spring & summer will prove better for getting everything underway.
Till then I can keep planning !

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 10:42:09 am »
Hello and welcome from wet and windy Brittany!!!!

Carole

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 11:05:57 am »
hello from the learking fluffy
Am on holls (again) in MacDuff, Enjoying a rest and just found new peeps. Yesterday i meet a load of the peeps from forum i belong to (neeps)
This has inspires me to kick everyone in touch and try and get them involved in stuff like this down in the forth Valley.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 11:27:10 am »
Welcome from Normandy as well!

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 08:30:59 pm »
Hi Karen,

Sounds like you're going to be very busy with those 130 acres! I too have my pigs in the garden at the moment but it's the front! We are renovating once we move into the house I'll have a new front garden  ;)
Anyway it sounds great, Good Luck
Regards
Donna
I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS