Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig drinker  (Read 2167 times)

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
Pig drinker
« on: February 06, 2018, 12:09:55 pm »
We are moving our pigs to a different part of the smallholding with no hose pipe that can be fitted easily or cheaply.

In the past I have sometimes dug a small hole and put an old backburner metal bell in it and filled it with water daily but it does get very manky with mud and dirt as the pigs shuffle around it.

How do other people sort out clean water for pigs when there is no hose / piping nearby ?

gg
:pig: :pig:

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
Re: Pig drinker
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 03:31:56 pm »
I have one of those rubber trug things which is partially sunk into the ground. I have a water carrier from a caravan which is on wheels which I fill up daily and wheel down to the field. Tip the trug up and refill from the water carrier. The trug is big enough for 4 pigs and isn't too heavy to tip even with a bit of water in the bottom. The caravan water carrier (they probably have a proper name) is sturdy enough to drag through my field to where the pigs are. One day I hope to have a water pipe down there...one day!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 06:17:30 pm »
If the pigs are moving for a while it might be worth investing in a water tank that will fill an automatic drinker. We fill our tank about once a week
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 09:28:26 am »
Not much is pig-proof.  We have a water "sack" from Fearing which sits inside a wheelbarrow which we use for water buckets on a holding our sheep graze.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS