Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another tagging quandary  (Read 1626 times)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Another tagging quandary
« on: August 06, 2010, 10:32:03 am »
I've looked over the videos on http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmanimal/movements/sheep/videos.htm and I now have a basic understanding but just wanted to know if there is anyone who can confirm certain tagging issues I have.

All my lambs this year need/can to be double tagged with EID? ie the ewe lambs that are staying and also the boys going to slaughter?

All older ewes (this is the question) that were born on this farm - but not on the same holding number of birth as the farm changed hands - have to be tagged with red replacement tags in each ear if they are missing? Or can I just retag them with doubles (yellow and my colour)

The ewes that still have old tags, can I remove them and replace them with doubles? (some of my old non eid tags are yellow and I want to change them)

Its all to confusing.......

Ta

Baz

Re: Another tagging quandary
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 10:57:50 am »
Hi,

1) Eid Tags can be applied to slaughter and breeding animals - just more expensive to apply to slaughter animals than a 10p slaughter tag. - also a single eid will do.

2) That one is slightly out of the ordinary as the holding number changed not the location? I would suggest speaking to DEFRA on that one.

3) You cannot upgrade an animal to EID - besides un-tagging can be messy and stressful - My advice would be to leave these as they are.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 11:32:20 am »
<< 1) Eid Tags can be applied to slaughter and breeding animals - just more expensive to apply to slaughter animals than a 10p slaughter tag. - also a single eid will do.>>

Anyone in Scotland please note that animals going for slaughter require an EID tag

Otherwise I agree with SfS - ask Defra or Trading Standards or whoever you speak to down there to be sure to get it right.  Then if someone queries what you have done you can refer them back to the advice you received (so note it and who you spoke to and when)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 03:38:26 pm »
Yes Sorry - always forget Scotland and the different rules....
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS