Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on planting trees and livestock  (Read 1541 times)

TeresaP

• Joined Feb 2018
Advice on planting trees and livestock
« on: February 05, 2018, 07:56:03 pm »
Looking for some advice please.

Sorry about the long post but I thought I would introduce myself as well.

We have recently moved to a small farm (20 acres) which has some holiday lets on. When we moved here the land was being rented to a local farmer for grazing his sheep.

We moved here 7 months ago with our 1 labrador, 1 horse and 2 ponies.

Well that soon changed!!!!!!, we now have
2 labradors (recently had 8 puppies)
6 barn cats and 2 kittens
13 chickens
7 ducks
3 horses
2 ponies
7 pygmy goats.........

We would like to get some of our own sheep soon and some pigs. However, before we start adding more animals we wanted to concentrate on getting the land right.

Most of our land is sloping with a small stream running through the centre. My husband wants to create a pool at the bottom of the land with some fish in (about 1/2 - 1 acre in size).

We then have a smaller field which is about 3 acres and is quite wet/marshy. We noticed that this field was not really being used much by the grazing sheep and horses and so would like to put this field to better use.

Our ideas so are to plant some Willow and Fruit/Nut trees on this land to help with drainage and once these have grown enough we could introduce pigs in this field.

What are peoples thought?
Any suggestions on what else we could?
Any ideas on what sort of pigs would be best suited to these conditions?

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Advice on planting trees and livestock
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 05:22:21 pm »
Hi TeresaP - some thoughts:
Re fish pond - since pond will be connected to a natural water-way, I seem to think you might need a permit (from Environment Agency or local Planning Authority?) to stock with fish.  This is not a subject I know much about though, but best you check on permitted stocking before introducing any fish.
Re the marshy bit you mentioned:  that seems like the better place to form the pond by diverting stream water to that area, but then I seem to think there might be restrictions on diverting waters from a natural water-way.  Again, need to check-  perhaps with EA in first instance.
Re willows: some varieties will do better in very wet boggy areas than others - I would suggest you speak to any potential supplier before purchase.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 05:24:24 pm by arobwk »

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 07:50:52 pm »
If you create a pond as you've planned you will find that it will naturally stock with fish. (Unless there's something badly wrong with the water - which is unlikely.) This is nothing to do with the EA. You would however need a permit to move fish from a commercial fishery to your pond.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 07:54:10 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 07:08:27 am »
It would be a very long time from planting trees until they were big enough to survive a pig invasion.... young trees would just be up rooted.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS