Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to do?  (Read 4310 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
What to do?
« on: August 04, 2010, 10:15:00 pm »
My 12 goats have the life of Riley and enjoy a great deal of freedom. They can from time to time escape on to a neighbours land but I have their permission as they have a riding stables and don't mind the odd visit. However, from time to time when on this land they go on to another neighbours land and eat their trees etc. Now, the problem is as I have discussed with these people that they do not have proper fencing to keep the goats out and as I have explained I cannot go on to their land and put up fencing. For as long as they do not protect their property I don't see what I can do and tonight have had the police at the door as these people have complained.

The police tell me there is nothing they can do and they just had to make me aware of the complaint. I have discussed this previously with the Animal Welfare Officer and she tells me she is happy with the steps we have taken to keep the goats in and therefore would not get involved either. What the hell do we do when these idiots will not put up a fence and admit that it is their own fault? They incidentally spend a lot of time complaining to the owners of the riding stables about the horses also eating their trees!!! They are just mental, one of them is a GP too you would think they would know better.

Years ago these same people sent the Animal Health people to us as they had a problem in their garden with rats. The rats had to be coming because we kept livestock, nothing to do with the rural setting they live in and the fact that they have a large river at the side of their garden. The animal welfare people reported back to them that having viewed our land, shelter and feed stores they were delighted that the animals were so well cared for and that everything was spick and span. However, he told them that the cleanliness of their own front garden was the reason they had rats!

fizzgigg

• Joined May 2010
  • bolton
  • catch it kill it cook it eat it waste nothing
Re: What to do?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 10:40:25 pm »
i wouldnt let it get to you pal, some people just dnt get it and have nothing better to do with their time than try andmake other people miserable if the authorities are happy with your set up then youve got nothing to worry about if they dont want to look after there own land its their problem you have taken the steps to ensure your goats are safe and happy you just cant help people who wont help themselves  :wave:

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 10:44:17 pm »
Thanks, unfortunately it seems that we now have 3 sets of neighbours who hate us! Really I don't give a monkeys and the only way they know to get at us is through our animals. They could be doing with a day in the real world for a while to take their minds off such trivia. ::)

They are so mental - they come to us and complain but admit that they do not have adequate fencing to stop any of the goats or ponies eating their plants, trees etc and then they admit that the problem is their own fault but still will not get a bloody fence on place, it is so maddening.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 12:35:00 am »
I know what its like to have neighbours like that, and also what goats are like, so you have my sympathy.  But, I think I am right in saying that  you are responsible for fencing your stock in, using adequate fencing (whatever that is, with goats, I am not sure there is one!).  To be honest, I doubt you can make the neighbour fence his land against your goats.

Your problem will arise if the neighbours start to take you to court or something,  claiming the goats have wrecked their garden, eaten some expensive shrub etc.

I fully understand that fencing goats in is a nightmare, but I think maybe I would try and make sure the fence is secure, because these people sound like trouble, and you do not want any further hassle from them.  If they have got the police involved, they obviously have an issue with the  goats.

chickenfeed

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 07:20:10 am »
 :wave: i agree with roxy it is not the neighbours that should have to keep livestock out but the animals owners that must ensure their animals are fenced in.

not far from here a couple got took to court when their horses kept on getting out, on one occassion the horses got onto a busy road during rush hour the owners were took to court and had a big fine slapped on them as well as being ordered to put up secure fencing, it can be done mum has has goats for well over 40 years and never had one escape.

i wish you luck with this problem neighbours can be a right pain we only have 3 and 2 of them are always at each other (atleast they leave me alone  ;)

dannidub2000

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Northants
    • Brook Farm Rare Breeds
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 08:32:08 am »
Miserable gits!!! Wherever you go u always get moaners!! I know what its like with goats,very much roamers when they find a way  :goat:
What sort of fencing have you got up and how are they getting out? I know from mine they generally go over or through. We used to use 2 strands of electric fencing when we had our smallholding, it kept them in but they were very clever to catch the moment when the battery powering it needed charging. Lil devils!!
We had a neighbour years back whos garden backed onto  our rented land, god they were forever moaning about nafall but wouldnt say a thing to us personally!!
We had to burn some old hay one day and instead of coming and telling me it was a problem for them, they got in touch with the authorities and I had a visit from a grumpy council lady who demanded I put it out by myself. Now my partner would have been back from work soon after and he could of dealt with it with the digger and put it out straight away, but no she wanted action immediately. So she stood there and watched me for 1/2 hr collecting water trying to stop it burning, I will add I was a week before my due date of having my 1st child. Thanks!!!
I went round and politely asked i they had had a problem and had reported me instead of coming to see me and they obviously denied!! What happened to communication and neighbours being part of a community, probably why we bought our farm away from moaners!!  :farmer:
Danni
Brook Farm Rare Breeds
Northants

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 08:37:50 am »
To be honest we thought we had stopped them from getting out in to the riding stables land as we have had no problems for a long time. Will be going out shortly to see what damage the buggers have done to the fence and try again to stop them from getting out. The annoying thing is that from my land and land a neighbour lets us use they have access to over 5 acres of really good land with lots of grass, trees etc and still the grass is greener on the other side...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 10:15:03 am »
It is always greener on the other side, James!!  My goats had access to 13 acres of good grass here.  What did they do?  Hop over the footpath stile to next doors, and start on his grass.  Then they went to the other neighbour and ate her tubs of pansies ......

Its very expensive, but that tall horse wire, which is small holed and does not bend like sheep netting, is good.  Its used a lot at animal sanctuaries etc. which are open to the public.  Or perhaps, put electric fencing on the inside of your fence.  I know they may try and get through, but worth a go.

When you have the trouble before, you put extra hay out, and they seemed to stop for a while.  Wonder why they have started again?  Is there one particular goat, or all of them?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 10:20:06 am »
Hi Roxy, unfortunately it is monkey see monkey do and if one goes they all go. I guess they just got bored with hay and decided again to cause havoc. Funny you said your goats went over a stile as my lot do that too, it is so funny to watch them.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 10:48:11 am »
Yes, it is funny, but not so, when you have angry neighbours.  My neighbour is still telling all and sundry about her pansies.....she wants to get a life if a tub of pansies is all she has to worry about, doesn't she?  She is dripping in money, and can afford to replace them I am sure. ;D

Do you have access to tree branches, sycamore, willow, ash etc......I pick some for my goats (well alot to keep that lot going) and it does keep them amused a while. Its time consuming collecting, but the willow in particular they will strip the bark off, which again, gives them something to do other than escape.

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 10:57:21 am »
These people are nit picking, if I did not want your goats/dogs, pigs/horses/children to get into my garden, I w ould sort some better fencing out!!!! THe key factor is, all these people are probably unhappy with something in thier lives so focus on something they can pin point and that just happens to be you!!!!

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 11:38:01 am »
To be honest if I had a neighbours livestock getting out of their field and into my garden, I'd be slightly annoyed.  Its annoying enough when its your own animals but to have someone else's causing damage to my garden - I'd be sending the bill to them.

We have two goats and we are experimenting at the moment with fencing as they both get out when they see fit or get bored.

Good luck with plugging the holes :)

Ta

Baz

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 11:41:57 am »
Also for your own goats protection - they might eat something they shouldn't on the other side. Our Ronnie died after a trip into a neighbours garden, not sure if it was the rhodedendrun but it was horrible  :(
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 11:43:10 am »
Yes, it is funny, but not so, when you have angry neighbours.  My neighbour is still telling all and sundry about her pansies.....she wants to get a life if a tub of pansies is all she has to worry about, doesn't she?  She is dripping in money, and can afford to replace them I am sure. ;D

Do you have access to tree branches, sycamore, willow, ash etc......I pick some for my goats (well alot to keep that lot going) and it does keep them amused a while. Its time consuming collecting, but the willow in particular they will strip the bark off, which again, gives them something to do other than escape.

We have lots of various trees around the land that they apready help themselves to. I also accept that yes I have to  fix my fence but for god sake these idiots have to surely do something for themselves?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 12:08:28 pm »
Not if they do not want to.....is how they thinK.  If their livestock was escaping, then maybe yes.  Who is responsible for the boundary fence. At our old house, it was written in when we bought the land, that we were responsible for the stock fencing, and must keep it in good order at all times.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS