Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Organic  (Read 3572 times)

kev meaney

• Joined Sep 2015
Organic
« on: February 04, 2018, 07:48:33 pm »
Hi

I've not posted on here for a long time the last time was regarding meat boxes which sadly never got going due to one thing and another. But since then I have moved premises, but only just recently.

So I have now taken on a 6 acre grass paddock with nothing there other than a field shelter and now the beginnings of a couple of other temporary structures. My new intention is farmers markets selling my own grown pork products and potentially local outlets and the usual friends and family. Obviously I've food safety to go through first before anything goes ahead, what I'd like to know is are there any other smallholders out there who are certified organic?, does anybody have a rough idea what the certification costs are?, and is it worth it?. My partner is a marketing manager and so will have no problem with any marketing of products but thinks going down a high quality route is the best way to create a niche in our area as there are very few organic suppliers around us.

Any thoughts and comments will be very much appreciated.

thanks

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
Re: Organic
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 09:53:16 pm »
the cost to certify organic is usually nonviable for small scale producers. A much cheaper, but as yet less well known, alternative is the WFA, http://www.wholesome-food.org/

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 10:51:58 pm »
From general observations, I would say that rare breed and outdoor reared carry more weight than Organic. That's from the consumer's point of view.  As you will be selling direct to your customers you can say to them that you rear your pigs to the same standards as Organic, eg not using drugs indiscriminately.  On your stall you can have poster sized pictures showing your rare breed pigs in a lovely green or wooded environment, as happy pork is what people want.  :pig: :pig: :pig:   By selling direct, you have a huge advantage over those who sell through supermarkets so have no direct contact with their customers.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 10:33:06 am »
I agree, I sell veg not meat but the organic certification is prohibitively expensive and really only provides consumers with some degree of trust in what they are buying, which you will be able to provide buy chatting to your customers. I often get asked if I’m organic and have never lost a sale because I’m not.

kev meaney

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 05:37:26 pm »
Thanks for the comments there all very useful and encouraging I'll go and try and make something out of it all now, hopefully  :fc:

Thanks again.  :thumbsup:

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 01:35:16 pm »

I'm organic but we are not small holders (medium farm).  I cant help with costs as it depends on the no. animals etc.  I would assume you'd be £200.  Being organic is very strict and there is a great market however be wise.  You wont make any money at farmers markets you need to do postal with a box scheme.  You'd be selling a good size pig whole for £300.  If your willing to stand around all day to shift a few joints then pack up and drive home you need to price this in.  For us its a no no.

The other option is def GM free.  Lots of foods contain soya which is GMO.  This could be yr USB.  If you go down organic then you need to buy food in bulk - tonne bags (courier costs about £60). The only way to win on this is to buy by 12t lorry load into silo.

Be extremely weary on your costs.  I see far too many people selling ridicously cheap and I can only assume they haven't ever sat down on priced up overheads. Driving to abattoir and picking up from butcher comes with costs.  Packaging and time.  I've done a lot of studying on this and the only winners are those who shift in quantities.

westcoastcroft

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 07:46:40 am »
Read the standards.

Our seem to remember that when wee looked into it the organic standards for pigs said sometuibg like they have to be on pasture with green vegetation at all time and the pasture has to be rested for 6 months between uses. Not going to fit many pigs on 6 acres following themail standard if I remember  them right

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 08:47:23 am »
Too expensive (both feed and certification) and onerous for us - folk seem to be more interested in local / meat quality / how they are kept than organic.

Investigate Food Assemblies - like Farmers' Markets but better IMHO.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 08:30:47 pm »
I have given it some thought but as Rosemary says both feed and certification are prohibitive. And I understood this was particularly a pig problem due to the high protein intake as sheep etc can be fed organically at a more viable cost. My selling proposition is around demonstrating care and traceability. Whilst labels like organic help marketing as a short cut to saying the standard you are at if you have your own marketing person than it is all about creative and credible marketing.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS