Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Transport Rules  (Read 1939 times)

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
Transport Rules
« on: February 04, 2018, 02:33:13 pm »
To a beginner, the regulations for transport seem to be a bit of a minefield. Can someone clarify the situation re distance and permits etc?

Currently have my  3 Shetlands in the trailer (they are lovely!)

We will eventually be having to travel to Dingwall for abattoir, which 70miles.

The exceptions I have read about include whether the trip is for economic benefit, number of livestock, and that hobbyists are usually exempt. But how official is this?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Transport Rules
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 03:10:49 pm »

You will be exempt unless you run your farm as a business.

But still have to fill in the movement forms and send off to Dumfries and keep your on-farm register. You will also need to complete the annual survey, comes beginning of December every year.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 03:20:49 pm »
Not sure if its different in Scotland but here in Wales I don't think your meant to transport animals over 40 miles unless your certificated.

Personally I wouldn't let that stop me transporting them. Ask around locally and see if other smallholders use the same slaughterhouse and if their certificated or not and follow their example.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 06:40:59 pm »
Depends on lots of things and I agree that to us beginners it can all seem quite complex. I've attached a document I did for myself a while back to try and get it straight in my head as to whether rules applied or not, and what would need to be fulfilled. The critical thing is whether the transport is in connection with an "economic activity".

I don't think the rules have changed since I did it, but I haven't formally gone and looked at everything.

Hope it helps.

On the other hand, it is fairly cheap and easy to do your certification and then you know you are covered (and could potentially provide a service to others). Trying to wing it and hope for the best could all go horribly wrong if you had an accident and your insurer then decided you weren't covered.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 07:12:23 pm »
Certificate of competence is easily done through your local rural college, then just apply for type 1 authorisation and you’re all good to go. If you do get pulled over mid journey you have your back covered. I did mine last summer after our farm assurance inspector picked up on it.

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 08:51:38 pm »
If you want to see what the relevant qualification covers, have a look at the City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 
Award in The Transport of Animals by Road  (Short Journeys) (0141-04) Qualification Handbook at https://www.nptc.org.uk/assets/documents/d17ee486dc674474bf71a41b227518a1.pdf

If you were transporting more stock (so larger heavier trailer) you might need a tacho too.  See http://pickupand4x4.co.uk/towing-tachographs-rules-exemptions
Or ring up trading standards and ask their advice.  I was asked if I did more than the 65km, and they came back with "oh that's okay then, if you do just give us a call and we'll help".  I would have thought three sheep for home consumption would be not achieving financial gain so not an economic activity as per the Welfare of Animals During Transport Advice for transporters of sheep  at https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/69423/pb12544f-transport-sheep.pdf

And check your insurance cover it - most smallholders type policies will for own use.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 09:15:23 pm by Badger Nadgers »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS