Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Snow shovel - plastic or aluminium?  (Read 1422 times)

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
Snow shovel - plastic or aluminium?
« on: February 03, 2018, 10:37:05 pm »
For years I have shovelled snow with an ordinary steel headed shovel. I found it on a roundabout.....presumably it had fallen off a vehicle. It has a lovely worn wooden handle but is heavy and very dry snow freezes to the blade which isn’t smooth anymore.

I have decided to invest in either an aluminium grain shovel or a plastic snow shovel with a metal reinforced edge. Which do you think would be the better tool for the job?

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Snow shovel - plastic or aluminium?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 07:49:44 am »
The grain shovel will be of more use at other times of the year.  I use mine for emptying the muck trailer after doing the horses fields.  I have broken the plastic snow ones trying to do other jobs.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 07:53:48 am »
We have a 35 year old plastic snow shovel which works well on the rare occasions it is used. As you say it does need a metal edge as ours is wearing out. But I am suspicious of the quality of modern plastic because of the practice of adding reclaimed material to the melt. A 10% addition results in a 50% reduction in the material properties, so you could end up with a brittle product which readily disintegrates.

I'd go for the aluminium.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 07:57:08 am »
If I really needed a snow shovel enough to test metal vs plastic down here in S wales..... I think you would be needing a snow plough up there Izzy  :roflanim:   so sorry cant help
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Glencairn

• Joined Jun 2017
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 08:21:06 am »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS