Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Transporting sheep  (Read 2160 times)

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
Transporting sheep
« on: February 02, 2018, 07:46:50 am »
Just looking for advice re transporting. We are collecting our three Shetlands on Sunday. We are using our horse box, which has been adapted to have loading gates on the ramp.

Main question is do you put straw down? The floor is rubber. And our plan was to use pallets or a hurdle to then partition the horse box in half/third so they won't be rattling around.

Any glaring flaws in my plan?
Cheers all

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Transporting sheep
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 08:02:33 am »
I’d put a bit of straw down myself, but they’d probably be okay on rubber.  They’ll almost certainly poo and pee and lie down on it, though, so the straw would help keep them clean as well as being a bit more comfortable.

I probably wouldn’t partition unless you are 4 million percent certain the partitions can’t possibly shift or fall.  They won’t come to any harm with the whole area but they could be harmed if the pallets fell.

How exciting! :excited: Pictures of the new members will be required ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 08:13:16 am »
As above... the rubber will probably be fine unless it’s a long journey. Don’t forget your movement license, always worth taking one just in case the seller doesn’t have one.

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 08:17:07 am »
Thanks! Yup, I'm taking my license just in case. Will see how secure we can get partition and decide from there. Off down to my agri merchant today for my isolation treatments and last few bits. Very excited!  :excited:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 08:18:24 am »
Will see how secure we can get partition and decide from there.

Don’t partition it.  Even when you think it can’t possibly move....  (Ask me how I know ;) )
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS