Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Permanent Pasture Land Use  (Read 3178 times)

matthewmoore3

• Joined Sep 2017
Permanent Pasture Land Use
« on: February 01, 2018, 08:27:15 am »
Hi,

Ive got my eye on 1.5 acres of land for sale nearTotnes in Devon. It is classed as 'permanent pasture', as is most land isee around as far as i can tell that may be in our range.

We would like to make a small permculture type project, fruit trees, fruit bushes, herbs, vegetables, maybe a few chickens, flowers, biodiversity.

We aim to make it attractive, well designed, and enhancing the land in terms of ecology, mixed and sensitive, and retaining most of the pasture... not just a big allotment..

We have no plans for buildings, aside from makybe getting a shed on there at some point.

Does anyone know the rules as for land categories and permanenent pasture. Would we be free to start planting trees, bushes, shrubs etc... shoukd we consult the council and let them know our plans?  Should we just go for it in a sensitive step by step way? I dont know what land category excactky would be for our purposes, so it seems all you can really do is go ahead with it on pasture land
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 08:29:55 am by matthewmoore3 »

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Permanent Pasture Land Use
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 11:27:53 am »
The planning category for permanent pasture is "agriculture". What you are planning to do is also agriculture. Therefore there is no change of use and absolutely no need to involve the planners at all. In fact from my experience I would advise you not to!

If you start in a small and unobtrusive way as you describe, I cannot see any problems. That may not of course prevent the planners coming along to see what you are doing - usually as the result of a complaint from some sad person who believes that every change in land use should be reported, in the mistaken belief that it is actually anything to do with them!

Research on the internet so you know what you can and can't do, especially in regards to any shed you may be putting up. Some councils may complain about this so get your facts right so you can argue your case should the need arise.   
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

matthewmoore3

• Joined Sep 2017
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 08:30:14 am »
Thanks for the advice landroverroy, much appreciated :)

Malcolm Brown

• Joined Jan 2018
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 10:00:26 am »
My land is part of a 250 acre wood with a TPO.  We had outdoor pigs and Angora goats, stock tunnels etc, but nothing permanent.  Since we retired we have retained 1.25 acres for horticulture for horticulture and still no permanent buildings or tree felling.  The important thing is to maintain a low profile and try not to do anything to annoy passers-by.  I still get people saying how sad they are that the pigs are no longer here.  The land is on a lifetime agricultural tenancy originally owned by Duke of Norfolk Estates and now Rotherham MBC.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS