Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tagging recommendations  (Read 4151 times)

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
Tagging recommendations
« on: January 30, 2018, 08:20:55 am »
Hi all, prob going to have a few posts off me today as I clarify my thoughts.

Was just wondering what type of ear tags you recommend using? Are some more likely to come out etc? When you double tag, do you use different colour visual tag?

Thanks.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Tagging recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 08:35:32 am »
The Eid tag is always yellow and a replacement tag is always red. Apart from those two colours you can have any other colour you like!

I buy my tags from Symtag and always have, but have to say I do get quite a few losses, be interesting to hear if others have found the same?

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 08:37:48 am »
Do you use a particular shape? I have seen 3 or 4 types, strips, dots, triangular type?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 08:56:32 am »
Replacement tags for sheep not born on your holding must both be red. For sheep born on your holding, the EID is always yellow, the other colour you can choose. We use Shearwell set tags and have good retention rates with them.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 08:58:28 am »
We use Allflex Bubblegum tags. They're sort of rubbery and once in, we cut the tag into two parts along the fold line - it's scored along the line. Since we started doing this, we haven't had any losses  :fc:

We use a different colour of management tag every year, so we know which year each ewe is in.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 09:12:34 am »
As above.  Even the Badger Face have problems tearing out the latest Bubblegums.  I'm tempted to try button tags next time but they may be more expensive.

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 09:59:44 am »
The main difference I can find in the shape seems to be the price, button tags are about double of the strips/triangle shape ones. Maybe they are better, we will see!

Thanks all, understand about the colour requiremens for EIDs and replacements, was just wondering about peoples use of a visual management tag. Seems useful to be able to spot different colours from a distance!

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 10:30:41 am »
All mine which have come in with button tags have lost them. The bubblegum ones cut as Rosemary says have been reliable - so far.

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 11:12:38 am »
Will give the bubblegum tags a try first then, see how we get on. What is everyone's practice re tagging for slaughter? So needs either slaughter tag, which has flock number. Or am i right in thinking you can double tag all lambs with full EID and a management tag and that's still ok? Just wondering about if you change your mind about keeping a lamb and sending for slaughter etc?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 11:33:56 am »
Or am i right in thinking you can double tag all lambs with full EID and a management tag and that's still ok?

Yes, that's absolutely fine, and is what most smallholders do.

As a general principle, the bigger the tag, the easier it is to read (duh...), but also the easier it is for it to catch on something and pull out (you know, I sometimes think my vast intellect is wasted on farming  :dunce: ).

Almost all of the sheep we bought in came with button tags, and almost all of them have lost them one way or another. We replaced them all with Shearwell "SET" tags, and have only lost one so far. The disadvantage of the SET tags is that the numbers are too small to read from a distance.

The colours on the visual tags don't mean anything (except red, which is reserved for replacement tags), so you can do what you like - lots of people change the colour each year. Our sheep are all pedigree, so have an additional number and year letter on the tag. What we do these days is to use any left over tags from last year to tag this year's wether lambs or others destined for slaughter. They get tagged when we ring their balls, and the colour makes it nice and easy to identify them at weaning time.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 11:48:46 am »
Will give the bubblegum tags a try first then, see how we get on. What is everyone's practice re tagging for slaughter? So needs either slaughter tag, which has flock number. Or am i right in thinking you can double tag all lambs with full EID and a management tag and that's still ok? Just wondering about if you change your mind about keeping a lamb and sending for slaughter etc?

I double tag everything- then the lambs are all identifiable by individual number which I can record weights etc with. Plus the visual tag is not much more ££... the compulsory EID is the expensive tag at about 70p.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 11:52:32 am by twizzel »

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 06:20:54 pm »
I use Caisley tags.  The eid one is button with a flag back and the management tag is a flag tag both sides.  The flag tags have space for breed society flock number and animal number in reasonable size print.  So far I have not lost any in 4 years.

This year I am puting small blank tags in as they lamb and writing sire and dam on the tag with a marker.  The idea is to cut out and use the same hole for the big tags when the lambs are a bit older.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 07:49:38 am »
I hate button tags but love having flag tags which I can usually read without catching ewe and having to find glasses to read them (yes I always make the mistake of catching the ewe first then realising I need the glasses which are winking at me from the bench!!  :roflanim: ) Unfortunately, for some reason I've not yet fathomed, the manufacturer always match flags to buttons :(

I change tag colour yearly so I have an at a glance idea of age of sheep ..... and  use a different colour for the wethers ... instant male female identification ...... this may seem expensive but  2 years ago I decided to use up all the odd leftovers which included some no flags.... chaos.......... I then had to catch sheep to check sex and am now left with some ewes with tags I cant read without catching. The extra cost of buying tags is soon out weighed by the frustration of having to keep catching sheep. .... or trying to keep glasses on your nose whilst hanging onto sheep in one hand and drench gun in other and with your third hand grabbing the drench bottle which has slipped of you shoulder as you lean forward... and that leaves your fourth hand to catch glasses before they vanish totally beneath the woolly mass at your feet .....
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 08:15:17 pm »
Replacement tags for sheep not born on your holding must both be red. For sheep born on your holding, the EID is always yellow, the other colour you can choose. We use Shearwell set tags and have good retention rates with them.
The Eid tag is always yellow and a replacement tag is always red. Apart from those two colours you can have any other colour you like!

I buy my tags from Symtag and always have, but have to say I do get quite a few losses, be interesting to hear if others have found the same?
                                                                                                                                                                   Just to confuse , since New Life is in Scotland  they can have what ever colour EID  tag  they like ( subject to manufacturer ) to go with the matching non eid  . I ve tried most tags and bubble bum or shearwell  set tags  are imo the best retention

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 07:21:01 am »
shearwell set tags
.Cheap
.small so don't drag baby ears down
.free replacements if you lose any
.excellent retention rates (we lose 2 or 3 a year out of 1000/1400 lambs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS