Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Angora Goats  (Read 3156 times)

Malcolm Brown

• Joined Jan 2018
Angora Goats
« on: January 29, 2018, 03:05:02 pm »
On the goats information page I see that there is no mention of Angora Goats.  My wife, Christine, is a judge of angoras and secretary of the British Angora Goat Society so I feel I must promote the breed.
To read all about them please see:
https://www.angoragoats-mohair.org.uk/

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Angora Goats
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 07:12:33 am »
Hello Malcolm and Christine
A few of us here have angoras and some show them.   :wave:
They do get a mention every now and then.
Thank you for the link.  I'm obviously not doing my job properly :)
Debbie F

Malcolm Brown

• Joined Jan 2018
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 07:59:11 am »
Thank you Debbie.  Angora goats are a bit of an oddball and at some shows we have put up a sign saying 'These sheep are goats'.  Our main breed show is at Royal Three Counties at Malvern but there is also a good showing at Devon County and the Royal Welsh Show. 

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 08:24:22 am »
I had a very confused visitor when I had castlemilk moorit sheep and angora goats in the same field.

What sort of goats are those small brown ones, what kind of sheep are the bigger white ones? ???

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 10:39:32 am »
Perhaps we should try to persuade Rosemary and Dan to set up a section just for Angoras  :excited: as they are so special and to avoid confusing the goat and sheep readers.  :innocent:

Joking aside, it would be lovely to see more people come to see them, though the show tent at The Three Counties is always full. It would be good to see them back at The Royal Norfolk. I have just finished a lovely mohair jumper  :spin:  :knit: and so nice and warm waiting for the first kids of the year.

Hello Malcolm!

Malcolm Brown

• Joined Jan 2018
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 03:41:30 pm »
Christine judged at the Royal Norfolk show twice and we were certainly royally entertained.  There aren't so many people with Angoras in that area any more which is a pity.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 11:27:48 pm »
I'm preparing one of Debbie's fleeces for spinning (among several other projects on the go) and I'm looking forward to it. No idea what I'll make when it's spun but I'm sure I'll think of something.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 06:52:30 am »
Finally getting round to it, MGM, well done, is it washing up nicely?

Just sheared the young ones yesterday, they're all tucked up in the dairy goat shed under a heat lamp.
Three young bucks still to do but they'll have to wait till the weather comes warmer and hopefully it stops raining.

Busy getting lots of fleeces ready for Wonderwool and the show fleeces ready for the Smallholder's show in May.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 09:21:11 am »
I am quite pleased with this one. Lovely and warm too.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 11:35:34 pm »
Finally getting round to it, MGM, well done, is it washing up nicely?

Just sheared the young ones yesterday, they're all tucked up in the dairy goat shed under a heat lamp.
Three young bucks still to do but they'll have to wait till the weather comes warmer and hopefully it stops raining.

Busy getting lots of fleeces ready for Wonderwool and the show fleeces ready for the Smallholder's show in May.

I know. It's been a while but I kept thinking it would be very hard to spin and frightening myself. In the end I realised that I will never know if I don't try it. I didn't wash it. I'm just combing it at the moment and it's coming up like clouds. My hands won't let me use the combs for too long but I hope to have enough to make a start soon.

Hope to see you at Wonderwool this year. I hated missing it last year but it was the only weekend our daughter and grandchildren could visit.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 06:34:13 am »
It'll be good to see you again and if all goes to plan I'll have 'Aneira' and her kids there again.  The does are all looking huge this year, probably twins all round, I hope not triplets.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 10:08:13 am »
I hope you enjoy spinning it [member=23109]Mad Goatwoman of Madeley[/member]   I am no expert but find it pretty easy to spin. I guess it depends on what you are aiming for but I like my home spun to look home spun(I.e not too uniform). Because it is so strong you can do it very fine if you wish or just lightly comb or card and let the fleece dictate how the yarn looks. Let us know how you get on.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 10:40:32 am »
That’s good to know pharnorth. I do handspun that looks handspun as well but that’s because I can’t control what I spin  :roflanim: . As soon as I have a little more combed, i’ll make a start.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS