Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to Farming  (Read 1614 times)

FMcB

• Joined Jan 2018
New to Farming
« on: January 28, 2018, 09:13:35 pm »
Hi everyone,
I am about to apply for my business ID and then herd no. I need to do this as I have had planning permission rejected and have been told the only way around this is a farmers dewelling, this will take at least 6 years but I am in no major rush. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Feeling a bit lost in the whole process at the moment but excited at the opportunity of a new venture. Was thinking Sheep...do I need sheds? Currently just have a couple of fields but no out buildings.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: New to Farming
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 11:26:21 pm »
Hi there.  We haven't fallen over ourselves in a rush to welcome you, have we?  Perhaps because the implication is that you are getting sheep in order to be able to build a dwelling on green belt, not because you like sheep :hugsheep: or have a desire to shepherd :dog:, or spin :spin:, or eat lovely meat :yum:

Maybe some of us think that there are rules about only building dwellings for farmers for reason, and that's why the countryside is so lovely. :tree:

However, you could be about to embark on a lifechanging and very rewarding adventure!  You may discover you love sheep :love: :sheep:, you may become an award-winning spinner :spin: :trophy:, you may even save a rare breed from the brink of extinction.

So welcome :), and to answer your question, if you are not breeding then you can probably manage without buildings but they do need shelter from the weather - good hedgerows, for instance, and or a field shelter.  Depending on where you are, perhaps - in some areas it is sometimes best to bring the sheep in when the weather is wet for a long time.  And even if you are not breeding, you should have a plan for how you would care for a sheep that became ill and needed nursing.  A makeshift shelter of hurdles, straw bales and some tin for a roof might do.

What sort of acreage do you have?  Are there any type of sheep that appeal?

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 07:58:29 am »
Maybe read a few dozen books about livestock in general?

You are taking an animals life and welfare into your hands and it shouldn’t be done lightly. Many instances of cruelty come about through ignorance rather than intent.

Hopefully youll learn plenty and be able to enjoy seeing your livestock thrive.

Good luck   :thumbsup:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 09:01:22 am »
Hello and welcome  :wave:

Lots of information via the LIVESTOCK button above.

If you click through the SMALLHOLDINGbutton you'll see our courses here ar TAS.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 11:14:56 pm »
 :wave: and welcome. As a  :spin: spinner and :knit: I am always interested in sheep. What breeds do you hace in mind?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS