Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sweet potatoes  (Read 2853 times)

Big Mat

• Joined May 2016
  • King's Lynn, Norfolk
Sweet potatoes
« on: January 27, 2018, 06:44:35 pm »
Evening all,

What are everyones experiences with growing sweet potatoes?

I'm thinking about trying a few this year. We're expanding the veg plot, usually just do a few king edwards and some salad.

Options for putting them in would be straw bale gardens ( trying for the first time on a new plot that needs plenty of compost so rotten bales should help )

A well rotted raised bed that's mainly compost, very free draining ( lifted potatoes on christmas day last year from it! )

Or into the ground, fresh dug soil that's been pasture for 20+ years. Heavyish fen clay stuff.

thanks
Mat

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Sweet potatoes
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 11:02:37 pm »
I tried some in a deep box and the results were too small to bother with. The goats enjoyed them though. I was warned that the Midlands were too far north to grow sweet potatoes outside. You may find the same unless you can cover them.

Big Mat

• Joined May 2016
  • King's Lynn, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 11:07:34 pm »
I could try some in the poly tunnel ( provided I get it recovered in time ).

Got fleece to cover to start with

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 12:16:13 am »
I had a go with them in the pokytunnel but again they took too long to get going and produced tiny sweet potatoes.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 01:31:18 pm »
I tried some in a deep box and the results were too small to bother with. The goats enjoyed them though. I was warned that the Midlands were too far north to grow sweet potatoes outside. You may find the same unless you can cover them.
I have to disagree, we have grown sweet potatoes successfully here in Aberdeenshire , only regret was not planting more ! they grew to a reasonable size in a peat / compost mixture. 

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 06:02:48 pm »
Don't grow from sweet potato from asda! Grow specific varieties suited to our climate.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Big Mat

• Joined May 2016
  • King's Lynn, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 06:59:43 pm »
Don't grow from sweet potato from asda! Grow specific varieties suited to our climate.

What would you recommend?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 11:43:00 pm »
I have to disagree, we have grown sweet potatoes successfully here in Aberdeenshire , only regret was not planting more ! they grew to a reasonable size in a peat / compost mixture.

Perhaps I should give it another go then. I bought mine as small plants in a local garden centre so they should grow here but I was advised long ago that they wouldn't. May try them under cover. My garden is south facing so gets all the sun and I'd love to be able to grown them.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 12:53:37 pm »
I only tried once from slips I bought. they were all far to small to do anything with so I was disappointed.

You are best sticking them in a warm sunny place like a poly or greenhouse

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS