Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What age can chickens use a ramp  (Read 3055 times)

wannabesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2017
What age can chickens use a ramp
« on: January 25, 2018, 12:24:50 pm »
We are taking on chicks hatched as a project at my daughter's school. 

After getting some great advice on here I have now ordered my chicken coop and run from Smiths Sectional. It has a raised house with a ramp.

I am assuming they will go outside full time around 6-8 weeks....? Will they be able to go straight into the new coop at that age? Can they manage a ramp? I have no concept of what a 6 week old bird looks like or can do! Will I have to get a smaller house on the ground at first?

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: What age can chickens use a ramp
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 03:19:01 pm »
They should be fine. I recommend putting them there in the evening, locking then up in the house compartment overnight and open the door so they can go down the ramp etc in the morning. They should go back themselves in the evening. You might need to to show them again for couple of nights or they might learn themselves.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 03:22:29 pm »
I agree - they should be fine.  Just be prepared to grab them and pop them inside the first couple of nights or, if the run is unroofed, if it starts raining before they get the idea. 

wannabesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 07:52:06 pm »
Great - thanks both! Getting excited now, although also very nervous that these eggs won't actually hatch.... not the best time for it, but it fitted in with the curriculum blah blah blah! Going to be some very disappointed children if there are no chicks!

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 09:16:39 pm »
Well in the worst case they will have to wait another 3 weeks!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS