Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best feeders and drinkers  (Read 3333 times)

wannabesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2017
Best feeders and drinkers
« on: January 25, 2018, 12:20:31 pm »
Sorry I will probably be on here a lot while I get us set up for our chickens!

Does anyone have recommendations for the best type of feeders and drinkers for around 12 birds?

I am seriously considering a treadle feeder, which is a big outlay, but very attractive in terms of keeping the feed away from rats. Do they work ok? The two types I've seen are Grandpa's and another one that has a green plastic step on bit. Any experience of either of these? From what age could I start using it with young birds?

Drinker - I'm thinking one of those tripod ones to raise it off the ground. Any comments/advice? What size would I need for 12 chickens?

Am trying to go for ease of use etc as a priority so don't mind spending a bit more on something if it makes things quicker and easier.

Thanks for your help.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: Best feeders and drinkers
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 02:06:31 pm »
I use a couple of treadle feeders , great for keeping most of the wild birds and other vermin out of the food, Tripod type drfinkers as weel but also an open trough seem popular both easy to empty and clean,
As for age of birds , once a bird is heavy enough top work it , mine is adjustable , but be aware if set for too light a bird then 6 blackbirds or 2 crows will also open the flap !

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 02:17:48 pm »
I've got a feed hopper- cheap and so easy to use once the birds get used to pecking the springy thing for food. I normally fill it once a week. https://www.solwayfeeders.com/poultry-game-feeders/outdoor-feeders/solway-40kg-dumpy-barrel-self-feed-hopper-psf0027-/

Also got one of these- good for birds that haven't learnt to use the feed hopper yet... got a group of ex commercial hens just settling in so whilst they get back to full strength they are using this feeder. Not rat proof though so come summer they will move onto the hopper https://www.solwayfeeders.com/poultry-game-feeders/outdoor-feeders/manola-outdoor-feeder-rainguard/

For drinkers, the tripod drinker I've got is good but gets quite green in hot weather. I use that plus a shallow large tubby bucket as backup if the tripod drinker runs dry (I don't go into my hens every day).

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 03:20:04 pm »
I prefer both galvanised.  I stand the drinkers on top of a couple of pieces of stone flag if they're in a pen with shavings that might get scratched into them.  These serve all ages of birds.  Feeders are always in a run rather than outside where wild birds can easily access them, even if the run door is open for the hens to free range.  The white plastic tripod drinkers get green in a couple of days in summer, however often you drain and top them.   If you have a red mite problem watch out for gap in the turned under lip on the bottom saucer section of both.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 07:29:07 pm »
I like nipple drinkers, like people use for rabbits and pet rodents, especially with chicks and growers. You can buy just the nipples for about a pound on eBay and screw into a hole in a container of your choice.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 10:23:27 pm »
Ive got a grandpas feeder. It took longer for them to get used to,it than the instructions suggested but once trained it is fab
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 08:12:29 am »
I have all different kinds of drinkers but think my favourite is the cube drinker I got if from the farm , holds about 2 gallons and keeps clean

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 09:35:21 pm »
In my experience, as long as you can keep it dry, it's best to have quite a large feeder (say 10kg capacity). That way you'll only have to top it up once a week if that. The grandpa's feeders look good, and I'm sure would be a worthwhile investment (far better to prevent a rat infestation than have to treat it).

As far as drinkers go, we've used several types, but the best is still the one I made out of an old beer pressure barrel:

The keys to its success are that firstly it has a large capacity, secondly it keeps the water in the dark so it doesn't grow algae and thirdly the actual drinker cup is relatively small and hence easy to wipe out with a small sponge, rather than having to clean the whole thing.

It was pretty much free and has given us nearly ten years of faithful service now. There are a few more details here if you need them  :thumbsup: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 09:39:27 pm »

As soon as there is a puddle in the hen run my birds will drink form that in preference to the fresh water I just put out for them....

wannabesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 11:40:41 am »
That's very clever [member=2128]Womble[/member] I need your practical skills!

wannabesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 11:50:29 am »
Thanks for all the input. Think I'm going to invest in a Grandpas feeder, as am really keen to do all I can to deter rats.

Still debating drinkers. I want to use apple cider vinegar, so have ruled out galvanised. Ideally I'd like to not have to change the water every day, but am then thinking that the bigger drinkers will be too heavy to carry.... I have a bit of a distance from chickens to tap. Could I carry a 20L drinker? I'm thinking about one of these https://www.solwayfeeders.com/poultry-game-drinkers/manual-drinkers/tripod-drinkers-p6190-c436/
Anyone know how easy/awkward they are to carry when full? I have a feeling 20L might be too heavy....  I can manage the sheep's water bucket, which is one of these http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/cattle-feeding-bucket-white - I imagine that must be more like 10L though?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS