Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fake eggs reviews, please  (Read 2103 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
fake eggs reviews, please
« on: January 24, 2018, 08:53:16 pm »
That time of the year again where one soft egg can set the girls off on the wrong path....

Last year the crows walked through the run into the eglu when the occupants were out and stole 2 wooden eggs, previously they carried off even marble and ceramic ones. I've been looking at cheaper options, does anyone use the rubber eggs? Are they peckable or do they damage easily? I'm not keen on plastic, they seem very lightweight and hens aren't stupid. Any experiences to share, anyone?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 09:08:46 pm by northfifeduckling »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: fake eggs reviews, please
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 10:10:36 pm »
We bought a load of 'joke' rubber eggs from Ebay about five years ago. They've worked really well, except for the time my Dad thought he was being really helpful and put them all in the fridge for us!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 10:16:45 pm »
 :roflanim: thanks, Womble. Peter's done the same with the wooden ones, really proud he was as well to have collected so many eggs!  :thinking:

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 11:33:56 pm »
I have rubber eggs working well too. The surfaces show some cracks, but not disintegration, and they are nearly 20 years old!

william_wt

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 06:29:30 am »
I've always used a few old golf balls as fake eggs, and it seems to work.
William

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 06:34:59 am »
I have some of the hollow ones and some rubber ones, both seem to work. I wasn't a fan of the hollow ones but on ebay you can get 5 delivered from china for 99p so def worth a try! I place a board in front of the pop hole so the hens have to squeeze behind that to get in and out of their house. Seems to put off the crows and magpies

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 09:25:03 am »
Have you tried covering the run?  Baler twine and split feed sacks would do.  Crows generally like a clear view around them and what is effectively a tunnel may be too much for them.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 11:00:21 am »
We bought solid rubber brown eggs from Wilko's about 8 years ago. They are very heavy and are probably bullet proof! The surface doesn't mark, in contrast to pot eggs which mark easily and won't clean up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS