Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: REHOMED: 3 x 7 month old Kunekune piglet sisters (SHROPSHIRE)  (Read 2064 times)

Lydia

• Joined Dec 2017
REHOMED: 3 x 7 month old Kunekune piglet sisters (SHROPSHIRE)
« on: January 23, 2018, 01:26:58 pm »
Now re homed.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:24:13 am by Lydia »

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: FREE TO REHOME 3 x 7 month old Kunekune piglet sisters (SHROPSHIRE)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 09:41:07 pm »
Lydia please don't offer any animals that you care about free to a good home. You will attract people that just want a freeby that they don't value, or a load of cheap sausages. I've done it myself - very friendly sow brought up as a pet on an allotment but grew far too big and ate a fortune in food and offered free to a good home. I kept her for a few weeks so I could tell the previous owners she was happy (which she was) and she made delicious sausages. Nobody was ever going to keep a large pig like that as a pet so I reckoned I might as well have her as the next person. At least her last few weeks were happy and I took her to the abattoir myself so know how she ended up.

You would be better asking the market price for these and sell possibly to someone for breeding. At 7 months old they are not fully grown. There are not many people that will have the facilities or the space to keep 3 full sized kune kunes as pets. I have the room to take them and a trailer to collect, but my freezer is still full of the last ones I was given. :yum:
But good luck anyway.  :sunshine: [size=78%]   [/size]
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: FREE TO REHOME 3 x 7 month old Kunekune piglet sisters (SHROPSHIRE)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 08:53:01 am »
When you say your dogs haven't accepted them, in what way?  If they're aggressive towards the KK's then you, as leader of the pack, need to make it quite clear that's not acceptable behaviour - put on your fiercest shouty voice and go for it.  If the dogs are nervous then you can keep them on a lead and make being near the KK's a time when they get lots of fuss and a dog treat.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Re: LOOKING TO REHOME 3 x 7 month old Kunekune piglet sisters (SHROPSHIRE)
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 11:14:51 am »
Hi Lydia, I've sent you a PM
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: LOOKING TO REHOME 3 x 7 month old Kunekune piglet sisters (SHROPSHIRE)
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 11:19:24 am »
You need to de sensitize the dogs to the situation. Shouting may only make them worse by "exciting" the situation further.  Putting them on a lead can also do the same if you have dogs that don't walk properly on a lead and understand about having a loose lead.

If you can't provide a safe, stress free place for your pigs you are right to re home but be aware of the points already raised. The Kune Kune Society might be able to help. Good luck :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS