Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for a boom sprayer add-on.  (Read 1779 times)

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
Looking for a boom sprayer add-on.
« on: January 22, 2018, 06:24:14 pm »
Hi all, I'm looking for recommendations of a sprayer/boom that I can fix on the back of our Mule to spray our fields a couple of times a year. I've seen a few on ebay but it's always good to get personal suggestions so figured there might be people on here who've used such things.

I'm guessing a 6-10' width would do the job without being unwieldy. It's for spraying weeds and rushes to try and keep them down.

Thanks.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Looking for a boom sprayer add-on.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 07:46:55 pm »
If it's only a couple of times a year it would probably be worth getting a contractor in, otherwise you'll have to do your PA1 and PA2 sprayer tickets at quite considerable expense.

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 10:10:31 am »
I didn't realise I'd need to have qualifications to run a small sprayer on just a couple of fields of my own. We're not a commercial farm. When I asked about a suitable product at Mole Valley, they didn't mention needing any certificates to purchase the weedkiller.

Hmm, will have to investigate. Either that, or just do what I've done with the other field and wander round with a backpack sprayer and take a lot longer over it.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 10:21:37 am »
I think you will need PA1 and PA6 for backpack sprayer too- might be worth checking for sure. All of the spraying legislation changed which meant grandfathers rights no longer give permission to spray. So regardless of whether you’re commercial or not you’ll still have to complete the courses. It’s not certificates to purchase, it’s certificates of competence to spray- there are some potentially nasty chemicals around  :)

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 10:30:35 am »
Bugger!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS