Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Soft/membrane Eggs  (Read 1561 times)

funnella

• Joined Apr 2011
Soft/membrane Eggs
« on: January 22, 2018, 05:49:16 pm »
I acquired 3 POLs in September and they were laying fine for two months, they all of a sudden, one stopped altogether, one carried on and the other has started laying soft/membrane eggs (See photo).

I haven't changed anything to do with their environment, they have layers pellets freely available, a handful of corn every other day, some kitchen scraps e.g. bread soaked in water and stale biscuits.  They are completely free range but also have a handful of oyster grit every other day.  I know it is common for one or two when they first start laying, but this has gone on for a month and a half now!  I have tried adding vitamin supplements to their water and their feed, but nothing has helped, I am at a loss as what to try next ... any ideas?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Soft/membrane Eggs
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 08:35:42 pm »

Someone will be along shortly and tell you that you are not allowed to feed kitchen scraps to poultry....

My poultry have grit (incl oystershell) available in a wee feeder, and it is topped up regularly. I see them using it all the time, so I would put a permanent dish with it in their run.

But tbh, if this has gone on a for a while it may be time to cull... soft shelled eggs will just encourage them start eating them, and that is a difficult habit to stop.

funnella

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 08:46:42 pm »
Thanks Anke, do you think it'll get better on it's own, any ideas as to why this is happening?  I can stop them eating their eggs, that's an easy problem to solve.  Do I hold out for another month to see if things get better?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:48:21 pm by funnella »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 09:52:00 pm »

If this has been going on for over a month already... I personally would call it a day, and get a few more hens in the spring.

I have found it incredibly difficult to stop them eating eggs, as some of them pounce as soon as they are laid... (as a soft-shelled one is often broken as the hen lays it and she then promptly eats it...) Also makes for messy nest boxes and bums.

funnella

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 10:20:15 pm »
Thanks for the advice.

I learnt years ago to cure my hens of eating their own eggs by blowing out the yolk from a shell and put some English mustard in it and they will not eat anymore. Chilli/hot sauce will not work as the have no taste receptors for that, but they can taste mustard. Works a treat!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS