Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Potted Christmas tree  (Read 2911 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Potted Christmas tree
« on: January 20, 2018, 05:30:31 pm »
Picea omorika

We bought a little potted Christmas tree this year of the species named above. We kept it outside the front door decorated with beads and fairy lights so it hasn't had to deal with change of temperature etc.

Is there any chance that it will live kept in the pot until next year?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Potted Christmas tree
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 05:44:01 pm »
Don't think so.  They are pulled out by machine so roots may be broken.  We managed to keep one alive for a couple of years by planting out and giving it lots of TLC but it eventually started to drop the second year and then gradually died.  Good luck though, it's worth a try.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 08:09:11 pm »
it might survive if you plant it in the ground; we have one now about 30' tall and beginning to look fabulous. We have giant baubles to hang on it at Christmas, though I can only reach the bottom branches now  ;D

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 09:40:23 pm »
it might survive if you plant it in the ground; we have one now about 30' tall and beginning to look fabulous. We have giant baubles to hang on it at Christmas, though I can only reach the bottom branches now  ;D
Tut, poor planning there Perriss , should have put the decorations on before it grew, just saying like.... :innocent:

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 06:24:38 pm »
You won’t know if you can keep it unless you try.   
We bought a potted Blue Spruce and it’s done us 4 years now - each time in the house - comes out in Jan a bit fed up but a years growth and some plant food soon perk it up.
It’s been repotted once but not planted out - I think digging it up each yr would be a pain, would re-stress the roots and allow it to grow too rapidly.
Keep it watered over summer - you can’t really lose out...

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 07:32:17 pm »
Thanks all.

That sounds promising Terry T.  I'll give it a go rather than planting out I think.

Fingers crossed!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 08:11:33 pm »
My thoughts .. buy a packet of the mychrozzial fungi  slip the tree out the pot .
Sprinkle two teaspoons of the fungi on the soil clump on the side surface . Put it back in the pot & water it well.
Perhaps the fungi will help stimulate plenty of new fine hair roots before  it gets too dry & warm .  I'd also try to site it in shade away from sun & prevalent winds to try & keep transpiration down .
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:16:18 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 02:34:06 pm »
Biggest probem with conifers in pots is getting enough water into them and a big enough pot.

I used to buy those tiny B&Q conifer seedlings for use in window boxes.. then pot them on as patio plants. I did bring a few with us when we moved here 7yrs ago and stuck them in a spare field corner - turnign into nice trees now.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 11:50:33 am »
Only just seen this.
We have one in a pot, now half buried in ground for stability, keeps it dwarf a bit longer. Potted on this winter. Kitchen window looks out onto it, Had lights on it again at Christmas, treated it to a few ornaments. Cheers me up looking at it. Also currently a great place for birds to shelter in or sit in while wating their turn at tne feeder :) .

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 01:26:38 pm »
My ex wife bought one the other year, put it outside then brought it in for Xmas. When she got home in the evening she couldn't see out of the window for bugs that thought summer had arrived :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS