Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ideas for waste fleece  (Read 5158 times)

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
ideas for waste fleece
« on: January 19, 2018, 09:23:13 pm »
I've only been spinning for about 6 months, carding fleece from my own sheep. The fleeces I have are pretty rough and ready and for various reasons (slightly felted, no staple, dye from markings etc.) there is quite a bit that isn't good enough quality for spinning but I don't want to waste it.

I was wondering anyone had any ideas for how to use this excess fleece. I know people use it for toy stuffing but I really have too much for that. I have seen patterns for making quilts with feathers by making small pockets, stuffing them with the feathers and then sewing the pockets together to make a duvet. Could I use fleece instead of feathers? Would it clump up over time like microfiber does?  :spin: :spin:

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: ideas for waste fleece
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 09:39:02 pm »
I would use it in the garden.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 11:14:26 pm »
My favourite use for otherwise unusable fleece is for stabilising potholes.  If you have an earthen track which has potholes in, clear out the loose stones and give the hole some depth, fill with fleece, then backfill with sharp stones. Driving over it will cause the fleece to felt around the stones and hold them in place much better than just refilling the holes with stone.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 11:55:07 pm »
Fill bean trenches with it then put the soil on top. I add mine to the manure heap although I always put a bit out for the birds to line their nests in spring.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 08:39:35 am »
Needle felting uses up quite a lot of leftovers - I filled on old tea mug with needle felted wool, covered the top with a piece if fabric tucked in round the felted wad and use it as my pin cushion on my sewing table. I also made some needle felted dryer balls to go in the tumble drier. I'm not sure how effective they are, but they seem to help soften towels that have spent too long on the clothes rack!

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 08:53:25 am »
Thank you for the ideas so far!  :spin:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 10:19:05 am »
Peg loom tuffets, cat/dog beds, etc

You can certainly card wool and use it layered as padding for quilting - [member=26833]quiltycats[/member] does that. It’d need to be not felted for
carding, of course. 

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 02:20:51 pm »
Someone asked me if they could have all the daggings. She was so pleased when I presented her with a black bag full (Funny woman I thought)
Apparently the fleece keeps the slugs a bay while the dirty bits are good for fertiliser. Win win
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 04:31:53 pm »
The slugs round here love fleece - it keeps them nice and cosy  ::) :rant:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 04:51:02 pm »
Put the daggings in water, makes a great garden fertiliser. Also line hanging baskets with it.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 06:02:53 pm »
hang it out for the nesting birds in spring

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 10:12:20 pm »
I used some for lining our hanging baskets.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 08:32:51 am »
great ideas, I have loads of waste fleece so I'll probably try everything! Except the hanging baskets maybe, it's a bit of a risk having hanging baskets here!

simonoakley

• Joined Jan 2018
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 01:41:42 pm »
Hi I have just joined the accidental small holder and I would suggest trying the not so good fleece through a swing picker , we have just purchased a minty model and it is very aggressive with the fleece so what would have been impossible by hand is truly easy . It also removes an incredible amount of VM .

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 08:42:14 pm »

Hi I have just joined the accidental small holder and I would suggest trying the not so good fleece through a swing picker , we have just purchased a minty model and it is very aggressive with the fleece so what would have been impossible by hand is truly easy . It also removes an incredible amount of VM .

I think at nearly 400 quid to rescue substandard fleece.... I pass....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS