Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: recommendation wanted for basic, hands on, course on looking after sheep  (Read 3344 times)

vegpatch

• Joined Oct 2016
Hello - my first post other than to say 'hello'

Any recommendations for a good, informative, hands on, course on looking after sheep please?  I'm more interested in knowing about day to day care, practical sides of feeding, managing grazing and parasite loads (internal and external), and basic handling skills rather than the legal/paperwork side of things (I can read up on that). I've read Tim Tyne's Sheep for Smallholders book (one of my favourite bed-time reads) and now would like to have some practical, hands on, experience of sheep to help us decide  whether we really have the time, space and capacity to rear a few sheep for meat on our paddock.  We're in north Oxfordshire but are willing to travel and stay overnight somewhere - ideally somewhere where there's good walking country, so that we can combine it with a short break :)

Many thanks.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
We have done this before and we have a holiday cottage.  I used to lecture on sheep husbandry before we moved to Wales.   

https://www.walescottageholidays.co.uk/mid-wales-the-brecon-beacons/llandeilo-cottages/waw313-beudy

Check out our Website and Fb page for more info.   Nantygroes.co.uk 

We start lambing mid March.

Let me know if you are interested.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

vegpatch

• Joined Oct 2016
Thanks Backinwellies.  I'll have a look and get back to you.
cheers,

Ermingtrude

• Joined Mar 2017
Not sure whether it is feasible for you, but before we brought our own sheep, we baby-sat some sheep for a neighbour. We had 10 of them for 3 months, and it gave us chance to see how we could handle them, how our fencing was, and give an idea about if we could cope - in all aspects - before taking the plunge. Neighbour came to do daily checks for the first week ( we walked round with him ) and then weekly after, unless we were worried about something. He showed me how to check for weight/condition, eyes, feet , signs of diarrhoea, pink gums etc and while they were here he wormed them once ( I helped, and got to practice ) and I went to his place to do injections, foot care and shearing. I sprayed them for summer flies, and got an idea of who was laying down for cudding/chewing and who looked tucked up, and who was first for feeding, and who was shy. Learning the basics of looking at each one and checking they are walking fine, have clean eyes, no dribbling, and no messy backsides was invaluable. It was a great introduction, before I got my first 4, and combined with the Tim Tyne book, internet, and vet advice, has been a good starter.
Good luck with your first sheep :)

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
Vegpatch,

I'm in south Northamptonshire near Daventry which I guess is only a short drive away from you. I keep both Castlemilk Moorit and Cotswold sheep so small primitive and large fluffy . Also Shetland cattle. I don't do courses but you would be welcome to visit, see how things are done and ask questions.

It is good walking country round here in the Northamptonshire uplands, we being on both the Knightley Way and the Nene Way.

If interested give me a call on 01327 361280.

Regards, Dave

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
We did our first sheep keeping one day course with Gillian Dixon (aka 'farmer dixon') at south yeo farm east - great fun, and 'hands on' teaching.
Good luck!

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
Hi there, we’re in Norfolk and the Norfolk Smallholders Training Group do a good course. There was one planned towards the end of Jan I think.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
We run courses here at TAS:

https://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/smallholding/courses/introduction-sheep-keeping/

East of Scotland but easy to get to.  :)

country soul

• Joined Feb 2010
Courses are all well and good but I would have thought  going and helping your local smallholder would prove  more beneficial.I 'm always glad of some help and would imagine there are others too.
Oh and don't forget  EWE tube !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS