Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mole. Going rates for capture  (Read 4980 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Mole. Going rates for capture
« on: January 13, 2018, 11:58:53 am »
As the ground below our land has got wetter every Mole for miles has moved into our fields (or so it seems) I was just ignoring them but really think I need to do something now. A cold caller has left a note in my post box  asking if he can get rid of them. Clearly they are quite obvious to all passers by! I am quite happy to reward his entrepreneurial approach but before I contact him - how much per carcass is the going rate?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Mole. Going rates for capture
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 01:57:29 pm »
Around here, it depends on how difficult they are to catch. My friend makes a living at this during the winter. He charges £7 for plentiful moles on easy ground, and £10 for smaller numbers over wider areas or in rocky soil.

That may sound like a lot, but TBH he's doing well if he can make minimum wage on average, especially in the third and fourth years working for the same farms.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 02:22:11 pm »
Used to be around a £5 here - but there were many stories of catchers bringing dead moles with them to bump up their charges.

It's not that difficult to catch your own

Everything you need to know is here

http://www.walcotefarm.co.uk/molecatching/mole_catching.htm
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 03:18:30 pm by henchard »

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 02:57:13 pm »
OH charges £10/mole for one offs or £10/hr for long term trapping.

tonyd

• Joined Sep 2017
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 05:58:45 pm »
Depends on the size of the place and the area, coming from the pest controller side if my son went to a farm or say a stables and mole hills were everywhere he would charge a set up fee and a visit fee that was agreed in advance. The problem is he always said that as you clear moles from one area then other moles can move in and so the problem starts again.
For gardens and sorting out the odd mole / mole hill (if it was local) he used to charge £10 per mole caught. To be honest £10 a mole was not really viable because it didn't cover the time it took to visit or the public liability insurance he carried.
So if someone offers to do it for £10 a mole or less then I would say you have got a bargain.  ;D

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 06:55:34 pm »
£30 set up £10 per mole

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 11:11:22 am »
If you're not intending to make hay on the area is it actually necessary to kill the moles?  I have great respect for them - wish I could shift 7 times my own weight in soil!  The soil is ideal for giving to newborn piglets as it gives them iron without needing an injection and, coming from well below the soil surface,  is free from muck and rotting vegetative matter,

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 11:11:51 am »
Thanks all. That is really helpful. I have left a message for the mole catcher so I will wait to see what he says. I feel I have a better idea what to expect!

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 11:19:12 am »
Cross posted with MF. I share your respect for them. I had been ignoring the moles. It just looks like I have about 10% of the field given over to mud heaps! The heaps are now in the garden  and breaking out in a second small paddock.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 11:27:08 am »
coming from well below the soil surface,  is free from muck and rotting vegetative matter,

It's also brilliant for planting things in.  We go around collecting our own molehills and then mix it with our own compost and chicken manure. You should see our pumpkins!  :trophy:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 12:38:14 pm »
Yes molehills are useful in the garden, but there are a couple of problems with having a lot on grazing pasture.  One is that they can bring listeria to the surface, so as sheep graze they will pick up some soil, or soily grass and run the risk of listeriosis.  The second is that a ewe can drop her lamb onto a wet molehill, so the soil sticks to its wet newborn wool and is very difficult to get off.  Very heavily pregnant ewes can 'cowp' (or whatever you call getting stuck upside down in your area) if she gets it wrong or is already on a slope.  Lambs love molehills though as they are big enough for them to shelter from wind and rain.

A tale of a molecatcher: when I was growing up in 1950s Norfolk, there was an old guy who was to be seen every day on the rattliest old bicycle you can imagine, dressed in a filthy long coat and with a couple of saggy bags hanging off the handlebars.  Turned out he was the molecatcher .  I think he lived in the woods, not a house.  He came to ours sometimes, not for moles as we didn't have any, but just for a gossip.  You could smell him long before he arrived and he was rather a dour old chap.  My mum asked him about the one very long finger nail he sported, which turned out to be for defence!!  He saw himself as scraping out someone's eye with it if they attacked him.  Very sadly he disappeared, and we found he had been crushed to death against a wall by a lorry as he cycled along - his defensive finger nail was no use at all.  Looking back, I think the coat was probably made of moleskins, the bags too, and the smell a mix of mole and well, man.

Oh I nearly forgot.  We have loads of moles here and one day the gamekeeper from the big estate stopped and offered to catch them.  He charged a pre-agreed £60 to clear the lot, which required several visits and bagged about 20 moles, so at £3 a mole it looks like that was a bargain.  Of course he didn't catch quite all of them.........
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 12:42:42 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 01:37:28 pm »
If you make hay or silage there is a risk (as well as broken cutter blades) that soil will be present in the crop, meaning that animals the following winter could be exposed to soil born disease such as Listeria.

http://www.fwi.co.uk/livestock/silage-soil-contamination-warning-listeria-cases.htm

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 02:41:21 pm »
Update
Well the agreed rate was £10 for the set up and therafter £1O per mole. I wait agog to see how many he catches over the next 2 days.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 03:22:25 pm »
My brothers used to charge 6d (two and a half pence) per mole.................though this was sixty years ago!!

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 10:09:47 pm »
Well first set of traps caught 7 moles in 48 hours. I will have to see whether that will make a difference!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS