Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mobile field shelter wanted  (Read 4441 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Mobile field shelter wanted
« on: August 03, 2010, 12:23:26 pm »
possibly two, depending on size.  Needed urgently, due to us having to move ourselves and some of the goats off the farm before the auction.

Must be mobile (on skids) due to our planning regulations.  Need not be the full size horse one, but at least 10ft x 8ft.  If you hear of any for sale, please let me know. 

I had hoped I had bought one, but the man advertising it, after emailing me to see if I had made my mind up, has not got back to me.  I  have left messages, sent messages, to no avail.  Very frustrating.

Derbyshire/Cheshire/Lancs/S Yorks border, but will travel a reasonable distance, and pay a reasonable price.

cooper956

• Joined Dec 2009
Re: Mobile field shelter wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 01:50:46 pm »
you could make one? if its chaep and temp u could always use some 8x4 sheets ect what you looking to pay and where abouts are you wanting them?

dannidub2000

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Northants
    • Brook Farm Rare Breeds
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 03:32:07 pm »
how many goats are you looking to house?
Danni
Brook Farm Rare Breeds
Northants

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 04:01:23 pm »
I have housing for some of the goats, but there are 3 large goats and two smaller ones who I still need housing for. 

We have already made one shelter, but thats not mobile.  To be honest, when you have priced up the wood etc. quite often its cheaper to buy one already made, and quicker.  My OH can make one, but its lack of time.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 04:35:48 pm »
what about making something from an old potato box? we did that for our pigs and it was ideal for them.  cut out one side and stuck a roof on (onduline cos we had some left over from the stables).  strong, robust and easy to move as well as very warm for the animals

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 04:37:06 pm »
If you're not feeling up to DIY, ebay sell them quite cheaply  :)

digit

• Joined Sep 2009
  • near Swansea
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 04:47:13 pm »
Why dont you use a back off a lorry (furniture van) i have 3 that i use and they're easy to drag around, you could pick one up cheap at a scrap yard

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 04:53:39 pm »
I have a small van body as a tack store, but there is no way the Peak Park would allow anything like that.  I have pushed my luck with what I have got already in respect of sheds, hen sheds etc.  It has got to be decent looking and mobile, otherwise everyone's suggestions would be ideal.  I have already been told that any mobile structure, they will come and ask to see it moved;  they did it to someoe and made them drag it right over the field.

cooper956

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 06:18:34 pm »
thay carnt make u drag it all over just so many feet i think depends on where you are but if you make thinks blend in ect thay dont bother if thay do its someone sticking there nose in and running off to tell them!
hen sheds im sure thay carnt do anything about after all most are just garden shed sized i build mine on old caravan chassis very easy to move then but not to keep pp happy more for my convinance.

dannidub2000

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Northants
    • Brook Farm Rare Breeds
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 07:23:29 pm »
what about pig arcs?? my naughty goats emmigrated up to the sheep last winter and loved it in the pig arcs we'd taken up for the sheep to borrow. a good sized one, 8 x 8m2 would house 4/5!! and if needed they generally have holes either end in to pick them up and move them!!
Danni
Brook Farm Rare Breeds
Northants

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 04:26:23 am »
if you still require housing I could build you one.

Craig

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 02:18:41 pm »
We bought an old (really old) horse box on ebay for a few pound and have used it in the past to house sheep and pigs. A quick coat of hammerite paint had it looking like new and very presentable. We use it to store straw when it's not in use.
Oh and it can still be used as a horse box or for transporting any of our animals....flexible bit of kit are  horseboxes!!!  ;D

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 09:05:18 pm »
good good just thought I would offer
Craig

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS