Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: can Jerusalem Artichokes get blight?  (Read 2699 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
can Jerusalem Artichokes get blight?
« on: August 03, 2010, 10:58:08 am »
I just discovered that my Jerusalem Atrichokes have brown spots dotted all over their their leaves, this has never happened before. did anyone encounter this and what could it be? :&>

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: can Jerusalem Artichokes get blight?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 11:21:15 pm »
Could be almost anything, except potato blight  ;D.  Look at the brown bits closely, even use a magnifier, and don't forget to look under the leaves too.  If the spots have a radiating circular shape then it is some type of fungal or mildew problem, which can be caused by too much or too little water  ::) (probably too little as they like plenty), or not enough ventilation or space around the plants.  The spots could be caused by insect activity under the leaves, or by the sun (wot sun?) burning through water drops on the surface.  There are also all sorts of rusts and viruses and so on, some of which are non-specific and others are specific to each species.  The Readers Digest gardening book says that if you don't know what it is, spray mightily with any and every spray you can lay your hands on  ???  :o It is definitely a bit outdated but my good books are all in the bedroom and OH is sleeping.......  If they were my plants I would pick off and burn the worst affected leaves, spray and feed with a pick-me-up such as liquid seaweed, give them a good drenching if they're dry and hope they last until they give me a crop   ;D Sunflowers, which are related, tend to get brown patches on the leaves too and are not badly affected by them. Jerusalem Artichokes are pretty sturdy things so I wouldn't worry too much.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 09:10:35 am »
Thanks, FW, whatever I ask you seem to know it, how do you do it?? ;D ;D :&>

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 11:30:05 am »
You must ask questions about things which are close to my heart  :)  Don't ask me about politics, or computers, or foreign travel or....... ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS