Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping pigs in a garden  (Read 8342 times)

Georgeypudding

• Joined Jan 2018
Keeping pigs in a garden
« on: January 10, 2018, 01:00:13 pm »
Hello, I hope this is the correct place for this thread!

My family are hoping to move to Lincolnshire next year and my Dad would love to keep pigs for meat. There is some debate going on about whether we should find a place with a large garden/paddock or a separate paddock.

Can anyone tell me if there are rules/laws specifically about the distance between a pig pen and our/neighbours homes?
Are there any other rules we'd need to be aware of that might impact keeping pigs in the garden?

I'm aware of the rules about moving pigs, getting a CPH, and not feeding kitchen waste but can't find specifics about keeping pigs in a residential area

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Keeping pigs in a garden
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 04:18:38 pm »
Agriculture is a presumed permission, so no planning permission needed to keep livestock.

when buying - there may be restrictions on what you can do, generally if buying there will be no problem, but get your solicitor to check covenants just in case

renting will generally have restrictions on what you can and cannot do.

There are no rules on distance between so you could keep them on the fence line, and  in theory you can put them your side of your neighbours fence !

However you will always come under nuisance, which will generally fall into 3 categories - 1. smell -outdoor low intensity pigs don't smell, but neighbours like it as an excuse. 2. Noise - young pigs will normally only make a noise at feed time, so feeding promptly after you arrive at their pen will mean this is at worst  a couple of minutes. 3. vermin - pigs eat their food at a sitting, so there should be no leftovers to attract rats, but make sure feed is kept in vermin proof containers and don't ad-lib feed.  Flies can be attracted to dung, but generally that means they are eating and getting rid of it, so taking away pig poo smell, and if the flies are with your pigs, they are not causing a nuisance to your neighbours. 

Assuming you are being considerate, then if neighbours complain to the council, they will send someone, and you just need to show that your pigs are not causing any issues.

I would try and site the pigs away from sight and hearing of neighbours if possible, and that way you can immediately say that you have considered them, and in any case your are far less likely to have an issue.  Many people who have been on our courses have set up in large gardens, and neighbours have never know they keep them until pork is offered !

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:20:15 pm by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 05:02:46 pm »
Really good comprehensive answer from Oaklandpigs so not much to add, just some thoughts.  Siting doesn't seem to need permissions when you use moveable arks but if you need to put up buildings it hard standing check out the rules on permitted development, this is when siting can be become more specific.

Always easier if your neigu ours are happy and they are more likely to be happy if you are in an area where livestock is around than doing the Good Life.

Good luck and hope you find what you want.

Georgeypudding

• Joined Jan 2018
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 08:03:07 pm »
Thank you both very much for your replies they were very helpful! That is great to know, we are keen to be very considerate of our future neighbours :)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 09:12:54 am »
Some other points to bear in mind. Weaners can be carried to the bottom of the garden. Finished pigs are a different matter so think about how you will load them back up. If it means a long walk make sure you get them used to walking with a board and stick. Pigs are very strong so bear in mind a communal fence may not be strong enough and need another on your side. pigs dig and in this wet weather make lots of mud which can become a thick  and moving soup that your neighbour isn't going to thank you for. Keeping pigs Spring to Autumn and resting over winter is a good option.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 09:27:15 am »
Finished pigs are a different matter so think about how you will load them back up.
.....and what you'll load them in to.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 01:26:42 pm »
A friend of mine lives in an ex council house and did pig share with her next door neighbour. It was just a ordinary semi detached back a garden. Lincolnshire is still pretty rural, and a lot of people still have connections with agriculture. I would pick a village that hasn't been done up by incomers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS