Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crutching pregnant ewes  (Read 2336 times)

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
Crutching pregnant ewes
« on: January 07, 2018, 02:28:56 pm »
Do many folk crutch ewes pre-lambing ??

We were thinking about doing ours this year as they have rather thick fleeces and thought a nice tidy up and to make sure the teats we easily accessible would be good for the lambs. However the ewes don't have mucky bums or anything so maybe it isn't needed  :thinking:

Is there a recommended time to do this before they get too heavily pregnant such as 6 or 8 weeks before the lambs are due ?

Thanks in advance !

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Crutching pregnant ewes
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 02:59:38 pm »
Had mine done yesterday, due in around 6 weeks time. I find it makes the initial latching on that bit quicker ( don't waste time sucking on dirty fleece instead of the teats). Also less fiddling about by me  around the ewe trying to dag post birth, better for her and me.  Not essential, but helpful.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 06:05:51 pm »
Depends on breed wool type , age of sheep and when  clipped last year , the only ones I have ever done were Romney crosses , not clipped  and  lambed as ewe hoggs  ( very heavy thick fleece with  length , so woolly in front of the teats and a long curtain in front of the leg )   same sheep as ewes because clipped in july never needed done again
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 07:50:53 pm by shep53 »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 10:10:40 am »
I dag if necessary when the ewes come in for their booster jab four weeks before lambing.  On a windy hilltop we prefer to keep fleece around the udder to protect it.  If the flock isn't used to being handled frequently or of a flighty disposition crutching can be a stress they don't need when heavily pregnant.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS