Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Manure / waste management  (Read 5480 times)

Tracy mayoh

• Joined Jul 2017
Manure / waste management
« on: January 06, 2018, 01:43:16 pm »
Hello
I have four sheep that live out for 8 months of year but I want to know are there anyone out there near me in darwen Lancashire that do a manure / waste removal service
I have a pile of bedding straw and hay that is mounting up and want to get rid
Cheers any advice appreciated

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Re: Manure / waste management
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 03:54:00 pm »
Could you not compost it down and use it for veg or sell it?
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 04:26:55 pm »
Best bet would be see if a local farmer will take it away for you or spread it on your land with their spreader

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 05:35:06 pm »
If you can leave it piled it up for a couple of years it'll be one of the best soil conditioners going, even better if you can add pig or chicken manure.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 06:10:22 pm »
Having just spent the afternoon (gratefully) digging into my neighbours' pile of muck from their stables, I cannot but think that someone will want yours.  A sign by the road-side, cheap local ad' or web ad' (e.g. shpock, gumtree etc) might do the trick, if you haven't tried already.

[Unfortunately, the well rotted horse manure I really want right now is right at the back of the pile - many hours of lifting and shifting still to come before I get there, but, heh!, it's free.]

Tracy mayoh

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 06:17:17 pm »
Are there rules attached to piling up sheep hay and straw bedding don't want to get in trouble but would like to compost it and reuse when ready
I'm due an inspection shortly

Tracy mayoh

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 06:36:18 pm »
So what's the best composting methods ?
Do I stock pile it for a few months covered by a tarpaulin ?
Has anyone any photos of what they do on small holding

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 08:31:22 pm »
I managed to burn a very large pile of muck that was left when I rented field out for horses.The heap smouldered for days....then just spread the dust which was left onto the surroundind field.....then reseeded .Admittedly helps if you have no neighboursz/right time of year.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 10:47:45 pm »
Are there rules attached to piling up sheep hay and straw bedding don't want to get in trouble but would like to compost it and reuse when ready
I'm due an inspection shortly

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/storing-organic-manures-in-nitrate-vulnerable-zones
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 09:26:50 am »
You can check whether you're in an NVZ.  I just pile muck up as neatly as possible and leave it.  Allowing it to get thoroughly soaked with rain then putting a tarpaulin over the top would probably speed up decomposition.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 10:57:02 am »
I make compost bins by tying pallets together, away from the buildings if possible, should be well away from any houses. You can't have that much with only 4 sheep in for 4 months?

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 01:14:14 am »
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/storing-organic-manures-in-nitrate-vulnerable-zones

Good link!  Have only scimmed the 'guidance' so far, but fuller reading obviously advisable. 

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 07:21:03 am »
How much bedding are you giving?  My 20+ ewes in for 8 weeks doesn't give me too much of a heap ... and heap drops by third to half in size relatively quickly as it packs/rots down.

Sheep are normally deep bedded (add little clean straw on top when required .... often not daily!).. and shed cleaned out when sheep go out.  Not like equine.

I have 3 sheep currently in a pen inside and haven't needed to add straw for best part of week (the floor is earthen so drains)

Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 10:03:47 am »
I bed on straw and do a cursory poo-pick when they're at the trough.  The earthen floor is, I think, much better than a concrete one.  Our shed is cleaned out as soon as the last lambs are turned out and bakes in the sun over the Summer.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 07:16:51 pm »
 I've been doing some reading:  somewhere along the line, I came to think I was not in a Nitrate Vulnerable Zone (NVZ)  - wrong! - I'm in a  Eutropic Waters NVZ.  Luckily, I have done nothing yet to break the rules it would seem - just need to keep some additional field records.  Thanks for the pointer alang.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS