Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The big red bus project  (Read 4978 times)

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
The big red bus project
« on: January 04, 2018, 06:12:26 pm »
I am looking to diversify and determined to make my smallholding pay !
That said I am about to buy an ex London double decker bus. My plan is to convert it in to a three bedroom holiday let. It will be converted to a high standard.
I am located in an ANOB it will have cracking views. I know my neighbours will object as will the planners but frankly I am up for a fight.
I will have to be able to out manoeuvre the planners I feel. My understanding is I can site a camper van on my land for 28 days camping usage without planning consent. Not sure how they will know the exact usage but thats for them to work out. If some one objects ill make the planning application and let it run its course if I end up at appeal and lose.
Ill sell the bus parking spot to my gf and the whole process will start again then the council will be screwed as enforcement will be against me and I won't be the land owner. She will then sell it to my mum and so on. More than one way to skin a cat.
Any one converted a bus for a holiday let ?

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: The big red bus project
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 07:48:14 pm »
Some neighbours have done this.  http://www.bedroam.co.uk/

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 08:18:27 pm »
Becareful they dont try to slap a enforcement notice on
If they do and you dont appeal if stays with the property regardless of who owns/rents it
If they do appeal it, and they have to prove you broke the 28 day rule

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 08:31:23 pm »
I would most definitely appeal any enforcement notice as it would also give me more time.

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 09:03:48 pm »
I would most definitely appeal any enforcement notice as it would also give me more time.
Can drag on for ages from 1st visit to retro planning application to enforcement notice then appeal mine took +18 months and plannining inspector quashed the enforcement notice  :excited:.
Council even tried to claim costs which they rarely do

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 10:36:55 pm »
Hmm  I think you will need deep pockets for this one

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 10:52:00 pm »
Hmm  I think you will need deep pockets for this one

Not at all. I'm appealing an enforcement order at the moment. I've got an excellent planning professional who charges £65 an hour, so the costs of appealing are only into hundreds, not thousands. You can easily get that money back in the time you've bought by appealing. :sunshine: [size=78%] [/size]
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 11:23:16 pm »
However, SWB, choosing a red London bus as your holiday accommodation of choice in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty is like waving a red flag at a bull. You obviously know that you don't have a good chance  of getting planning and are prepared for a fight, but it seems a bit pointless. You're going to spend all that money buying and converting the bus but you'll only have 28 days a year to get your money back. So you aren't going to make a fortune and will have a constant fight with the planners, that they will most likely win  in the end, once they realise your little game.

So why not get something more discreet and less obviously controversial, that you would have a better chance of getting planning for. Gypsy caravans, shepherds huts etc are possibly more acceptable to planners in an AONB. You are better using your time and energy fighting for planning permission for something feasible that can give you an income all year round, than trying to circumvent laws that at best will only  allow you 28 days/years.
Rules are made:

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 03:36:39 am »
It’s risk v reward. Rental for Bus would be £140 per night I want to rent it for a maximum of 6 months per year which I feel is easily achievable.
A neighbour has a tiny converted holiday let stone barn he charges £140 a night and it’s rented 80% of the year. I’m in a slightly better position and will have something quirky and unique.
I have a tv radio mast sited not far away so that makes a mockery of them arguing it’s an  ANOB  in my eyes as that’s an eyesore.
At the end of the day I can convert the bus if I loose my planning arguments. I can still sell it at a reasonable profit.
I will have had the rental value plus the sale value.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 07:36:58 am »
SWB  you do seem to like to battle with authorities / organisations   ....  is this red bus going on the land you are fighting the Woodland trust over?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 09:06:01 am »
I thought you had a LGD who was very good at keeping people away, and who didn't respond well to your instructions? It's not an obviously good fit with frequently changing visitors on site. But perhaps you have planned for that already...?

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 09:18:44 am »
SWB  you do seem to like to battle with authorities / organisations   ....  is this red bus going on the land you are fighting the Woodland trust over?
I am almost at the end of my battle with the woodland trust. I have a site meeting with the trust and the radio tower owners to discuss the way forward next week. The radio tower owners are on my side as the trust has also stolen land from them as well. So I am sure that I will get that land back.My deeds and the towers deeds both predate the woodland trust and our title deeds maps show the correct land ownership so the trust are not in a good position.
The bus won't be on that land any way.
As for my LGD he won't be any way near that section of land its as its all fenced.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 11:08:19 am »
It’s risk v reward. Rental for Bus would be £140 per night I want to rent it for a maximum of 6 months per year which I feel is easily achievable.
A neighbour has a tiny converted holiday let stone barn he charges £140 a night and it’s rented 80% of the year. I’m in a slightly better position and will have something quirky and unique.
I have a tv radio mast sited not far away so that makes a mockery of them arguing it’s an  ANOB  in my eyes as that’s an eyesore.
At the end of the day I can convert the bus if I loose my planning arguments. I can still sell it at a reasonable profit.
I will have had the rental value plus the sale value.

Good luck with it then. :thumbsup:
Rules are made:

SteveB

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 07:24:35 pm »
Not at all. I'm appealing an enforcement order at the moment. I've got an excellent planning professional who charges £65 an hour, so the costs of appealing are only into hundreds, not thousands. You can easily get that money
Hi
Would you mind passing on your planning professionals contact details?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 05:18:32 pm »
Not at all. I'm appealing an enforcement order at the moment. I've got an excellent planning professional who charges £65 an hour, so the costs of appealing are only into hundreds, not thousands. You can easily get that money
Hi
Would you mind passing on your planning professionals contact details?

No chance! She's booked up with my projects and other long standing clients. You're better off looking for one locally that has a good reputation of success in your particular area and knows how your local planners think. In addition, mine likes to visit a site  to get a feel of the project and it's unlikely she'd want to travel all the way from Yorkshire.
Rules are made:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS