Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: tractor troubles  (Read 6936 times)

pointer

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Hebrides
Re: tractor troubles
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 10:29:10 pm »
Rupert, appreciate you advising from your sick bed!

There was definitely water under the rocker cover, and it's emerged via the rocker cover gasket and around the rocker cover bolts.

There appears to be neither water in the oil (we drained the sump), nor oil in the coolant - no milkiness in either, the only milkiness was in the head under rocker cover. I think the oil may have had some diesel in it. The radiator had been filled recently, and the water level was not appreciably lower.

Thermostat is working. Hoses, thermostat cover etc all seem to be OK.

Leaving checking head gasket etc until we absolutely have to!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 08:25:11 am »
I think you absolutely have to   :(.  A very good look at the head,block and gasket

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 01:27:30 pm »
If water was coming out of the rocker cover gasket then there must be water in the oil. Physically impossible for there not to be.

How long have you owned it ?

Do you have a history of it running well with all the fluids staying where they should before the work on the Cylinder head was carried out ?

These engines are ridiculously basic and simple,

pointer

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Hebrides
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 09:29:26 pm »
OK, well there was nothing unusual in the oil to our untrained eye - we drained the oil to check. No white curdy stuff in it.
Owned it a few months, never been right since we got it - temperamental starter and prone to conking out.

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 02:48:11 pm »
I agree with the other posts in that the cutting out and non starting that you originally suffered was most likely down to Fuel starvation.  Checking inside the fuel tank is very important. There should be a filter inside the tank on the end of the fuel pick up pipe or tap.

Did you have the head checked when you replaced the gasket ?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 10:36:29 am »
Not sure about the amount of water in the rocker - but its worth trying to bleed the whole system and with a clean can of diesel and try starting it with clean diesel.  I could be water in your fuel.

valmet10

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 07:55:47 pm »
it very unusual to have water coming from rocker cover and no water in oil , if you have white sludge on in side of rocker cover this can be due to condensation ,
also check that there nothing in side you fuel tank ,ive had a customers tractor that had a piece of plastic in the tank floating around when diesel was warm sucked to filter in tank starved tractor of fuel stopped it only then no vacuum so plastic moved off filter
how about trying to run it of a jerry can of fresh diesel run two temporary pipe if it runs ok then its the tank
is it on winter diesel ,which is only good to around -6  if on summer then you could get an additive to add to diesel 

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 08:41:08 am »
Pointer, did you ever get to the bottom of this ?

pointer

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Hebrides
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 04:50:15 pm »
Rupert, I moved the tractor on to someone with more mechanical ability than me! In return I got a working order tractor from him, a bit smaller than we ideally wanted but a fine stop-gap for now. thanks again for your advice.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 06:47:41 pm »
All in all a good result then  :thumbsup:

pointer

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Hebrides
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2018, 03:19:09 pm »
Update for those interested in these things. I spoke to the new owner, who's had to replace the engine. Fault was bent con rods which chipped the edge of two cylinders. He thinks this may have been caused by rainwater going down the exhaust.

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2018, 05:15:43 pm »
Great to see a thread 'closed-out' for future reference to others. 

Thank you and great that it was finally sorted in the end. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS