Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much is she worth?  (Read 2600 times)

Lilljoho

• Joined Mar 2013
How much is she worth?
« on: January 02, 2018, 09:22:44 pm »
Hi

How much roughly would a 13year old Hereford cross cow be worth. She's potentially in calf and tame enough for a house cow?

Unsure how much to offer.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: How much is she worth?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 10:29:28 pm »
Possible slightly more than cull price but at 13 she’s probably coming to the end of her breeding life and as she gets older, risk gets bigger and productivity reduces. Even if she delivers her calf safely at that age she may have reduced milk yield, trouble holding condition and struggle to get back in calf again.

pointer

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Hebrides
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 10:34:39 pm »
Unless she's guaranteed in-calf, not a lot.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 11:15:24 am »
At 13 she is quite old .. do I understand you are buying not selling? ..  you might be lucky to get 2 or 3 years out of her .... or she could cost you a lot (check cost of having dead cow removed)   I would pass unless she is definitely in calf and being given away.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 04:48:31 pm »
very little really a cull cow. In calf offer a hundred and free haulage. You'll prob need to take it to market next year so allow for that. I would be very careful as if the cow needs to be shot on farm you'll get no money back. Not something I would even consider and be careful if the farmer is trying to get rid quick. 13 is the last calf I wouldn't push a beast past this due to the risk.  A calf will drag her down at this age.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 09:51:21 pm »
I agree she's not worth a lot, but I wouldn't necessarily write a cow off for breeding at 14 years old. I've had perfectly healthy suckler cows breeding up to 18 years old, and then living happily to 21 or so. The secret is to keep them in good condition as once they start to lose weight you are unlikely to get it put on again.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS