Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Found a dead lamb, well, half of it!  (Read 2887 times)

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Found a dead lamb, well, half of it!
« on: July 30, 2010, 10:52:04 pm »
I had 7 orphan lambs this year, got them from the mart as a learning curve just in case, for lambing next year.

One died of rattle belly and the others are, or were, thriving.

One of the tups we noticed when worming etc wasnt castrated so OH wanted to keep him as a tup or sell him on next year.

I noticed on Wednesday he was a bit apart from the rest of the flock but thought it due to him being bullied a bit by the other ewes as he was having a sniff.  Last night I noticed he didnt come down for his bit of feed, we are trying to get them down to feed in the pen (only half a ucket every other day)  so we can shear the rest of the ewes, us being dogless, it is working.  I wondered if he was ok but again as he was quite a big chap I thought again he was bullied. no scour or anything.

Anyway, I only checked the sheep from the roadside this morning as I had to get to work to do a horsedrawn wedding.

I have been down tonight and found half of him in the field, from his ribcage forwards is all that is left, all innards and backend gone.

Do you think it could be a fox?  Could he have died first and then been scavenged?  there are no marks on his throat or any on the half of him I have just removed from the field.

Poor Joe, will be up at the crack of dawn tomorrow to check the rest again, bit worried as my horses are also in that field, but they are all quite relaxed and so are the sheep.

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Found a dead lamb, well, half of it!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 10:49:41 am »
All sheep present and correct, the right way up and in one piece!

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 10:52:52 am »
I'm more inclined to think it may be a badger, the lamb was probably dead first. there are many conditions that cause death in the first year so I couldn't even give a suggestion as to why it died without seeing it
Ian

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 09:57:31 pm »
Have your lambs been vaccinated with Heptavac? If not, quite a few of the clostridial diseases cause sudden death, and if the carcass is then quickly eaten you will not be able to do a PM and get more info. Would concur with the badger eating the animal after it died, we have resident badger(s?) nearby and they will check the field(s) all the time...

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 10:44:19 pm »
Yes all lambs and ewes have been vaccinated.  I do know of a badger sett close by so maybe that is the culprit, do hope he was dead first though!!

All other sheep are fine since then, fingers crossed they continue to be!!

cooper956

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 02:35:05 pm »
most likly a bager thay eat the soft insides first how long could it have been there and how big was it bagers take weak or dead stock and even good newborn lambs thay are more of a problem than foxs but everyone sees them as cuddly black and white teddys that can do no wrong. thay wount tough any heathy stock that are over a few weeks old.

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 02:41:10 pm »
He still had his eyes so am thinking he wasnt dead long before I found him, if I remember rightly he still felt warm and it hadnt been a warm day really.

As I said, he had been standing alone for a couple of days and it crossed my mind he was off colour.

Was talking to a pal today and she said there have been sightings of a big cat up here, I have seen something myself near our steading but think its just a large feral tom.

I am of the opinion that it was a badger, setts nearby, makes sense.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS