Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ultimate Test for Broody Hen  (Read 2079 times)

Litl_Deb

• Joined Apr 2010
Ultimate Test for Broody Hen
« on: July 30, 2010, 09:49:35 pm »
I have a hen sitting on a pile of shavings and hay at the back of the chicken coop, she has been on and off so I have been taking the eggs most days, not worrying.  Anyway, today my second son saw an incident of another greedy hen chucking her off the nest and nicking her egg - then taking it outside for the others to eat !! not good.  I decided to take away the ground level nest to discourage it, so at bed time tonight I went and tried to shoo her off.
Well she wouldn't budge, so no more ado, I grabbed the garden fork and prepared to lift the nest from under her - she just sat there. 
There was me standing in the hen house with a chicken sitting on a nest on the end of the garden fork!!! 
I guess this means she is getting keener on sitting then... 
I took todays eggs and put them under her with the one she had left, and put her into the nest box where she should be safe from the greedy one. 
I hope her new-found determination pays off  Bless Her  :chook:  :)
Is this the ultimate test for the broody hen ?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Ultimate Test for Broody Hen
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 11:38:50 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D
:chook:

Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 08:26:27 am »
That's a brilliant post Annie.

I keep hoping that the chook on the bottom will catch up lol  :)

Sorry, only had my first chooks for a week so can't help with Broody Hen.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 09:47:40 am »
It's easy, Ian - just highlight something and then click on the moving  M symbol on the top row.  Trouble is it can be too tempting to use and posts can get overloaded and difficult to read.
Deb, did you mark the eggs so you know which ones they are in case other hens come and lay beside her?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Litl_Deb

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 01:53:23 pm »
Nah, the next moring she hopped off and abandoned them - looks like she failed the ultimate test !!  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS