Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: clearing brambles & hymalayan balsam  (Read 2665 times)

anniebee

• Joined Jul 2010
clearing brambles & hymalayan balsam
« on: July 30, 2010, 08:07:41 pm »
Hello,
I'm starting a small cutting garden..roughly about 1/6 of an acre on land at my parents that in the past 10years has pretty much gone to ruin. It's along the edge of a paddock that had become totally overgrown with brambles & what my mum tells me is hymalayan balsam. I've cleared the area by hand with a scythe, down to a sort of scrub, & now I want to get it down to soil. What would be the best way to get rid of the top layer of plant roots & grass? I've read that rotovating it is a mistake, as it chops up all the weeds where they just re-germinate...but although I started the garden by hand, digging it all out is a bit too much for me.
ANY suggestions??

Ayeskint

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Fife, Central Scotland
Re: clearing brambles & hymalayan balsam
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 10:50:04 am »
Hi, you have two problems. One is perenial (brambles) and roots will need to removed. The other is annual and relies on seeds to germinate (removal of plant before they seed would help next year). If you don't want to use glyphosate on bramble leaves - get yourself some pigs to dig them out. Natures tractor they are called - roots out and fertilised at same time. However lots of rules apply to keeping pigs. Carol

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 11:10:40 pm »
One huge nuisance with Himalayan Balsam is the way it pings its seeds over great distances - fascinating to watch but then you realise it is colonising everywhere.  So as well as getting rid of the bramble roots, you need to be prepared to be vigilant with the hoe in the spring when all those pinged seeds sprout.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Barcud

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 12:48:56 pm »
Balsam has very shallow roots and is easily pulled at any time up to when the pods start to form and then its best steered clear of.
Seeds are viable for about 18 months, so should be able to get on top of it relatively quickly, but worth tackling any adjacent areas that the plant is in.
Mike

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS