Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Should I ask?  (Read 3049 times)

Gramp

• Joined Dec 2017
Should I ask?
« on: December 31, 2017, 04:37:20 am »
Hi folks,
I have recently purchased a house with a few acres in central Scotland. I was advised by the previous owners that a nearby field, which is about an acre of pasture, where they kept a couple of sheep, had been used by them for several years. On doing a bit of enquiry It would appear that the company that owned this field is now dissolved. As I understand it, this land would have passed to the Scottish Gov. My question is, if I was to approach the Scot Gov, and it was theirs to sell, would it go to the open market or could it be sold to me for market value?  :fc:Or could I just go on using it as the previous owners did to keep a couple of sheep on?
Thanks

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Should I ask?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 09:40:46 am »
Ask both questions!
Absolutely nothing to lose

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 10:16:34 am »
I wouldn't ask, I would keep using it as the previous occupiers did  :sofa:  why risk an answer that stops you using it altogether?  Keep your head down!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:39:16 am by nimbusllama »

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 03:00:55 pm »
[member=132794]Scarlet.Dragon[/member] the 20 years use to acquire title only applies in English law. There is no law of adverse possession in Scots law.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 03:29:14 pm »
I'm afraid I'm with nimbusllama - you're not doing anybody any harm by using it and if you stick your head above the parapet you might well lose access to it.

There is no law of adverse possession in Scots law.

Perhaps not, but there is something about inheriting permanent grazing rights (if not outright ownership?) if you use land for over a year. I'm told that's why grazing contracts are always for 364 days only. Does anybody know any more about this?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 04:08:41 pm »
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 04:18:19 pm by alang »
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 10:38:23 pm »
I'm afraid I'm with nimbusllama - you're not doing anybody any harm by using it and if you stick your head above the parapet you might well lose access to it.

There is no law of adverse possession in Scots law.

Perhaps not, but there is something about inheriting permanent grazing rights (if not outright ownership?) if you use land for over a year. I'm told that's why grazing contracts are always for 364 days only. Does anybody know any more about this?
Yes, we let our fields out to a farmer neighbour for 11 months for that very reason.  But I think the property can become owned - we knew of one chap who used a field owned by an old lady for 34 years, paid her no rent all that time, then when she died claimed it as his own and succeeded.  There may have been more to it than that but that is what we were told.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:43:18 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 11:19:03 pm »
Womble - is this not to do with gaining tenancy rights rather than ownership?

Quite possibly, but if it gains you tenancy rights, that's basically posession, which as we all know is 9/10 of the law  ;) .

One of our neighbours told me that 'Bob' over the other side of the hill had basically stolen the land he farms on years ago, by occupying it for a few years and then claiming (successfully I guess?) that it was now 'his'. I'd love to know where the law actually stands with regard to this, but I'm sure there's something in it (in Scotland at least), as Doganjo also alludes to.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 06:59:07 am »
I'd get some livestock into the field asap. Chances are that people are aware that the field doesn't belong to your property and that you've recently moved in.

There are 5 acres of land adjoining one of my fields that sold recently, however, on the auction the field was listed as 3.5 acres as when the bypass was built it cut through some fields and if they left 'bits' of fields behind. Any access to them would have to be from the bypass. So effectively their land locked, only accessible to the adjoining landowner.

If the 'unclaimed' 1.5 acres adjoined my fields I might of claimed it before the auction as I'd of had as much right to is as the person who brought it at the auction.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 10:57:15 am »
I too would be tempted to use any landlocked land that was unavailable to other people.
But that hardly gives you the same rights as someone who pays good money for the same at auction!
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS