Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: converting sheds to hen houses...  (Read 4349 times)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
converting sheds to hen houses...
« on: July 30, 2010, 02:12:40 pm »
Greetings all!  Saw another thread where people were saying buy a shed and then convert it to a hen house.  What exactly would I have to do to "convert" it to a des res?  Thanks in anticipation. 

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: converting sheds to hen houses...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 02:31:07 pm »
You need a pop hole, a nesting area and a roosting bar. I had a converted shed at my old house (couldn't move it with me) and I loved it it was so easy to clean

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 07:44:18 pm »
Yup, agreed, plus vinyl on floor bigger than the shed, so it can be removed complete with all the muck, hosed down, dried off, and put back.  I also blacked out the window to try to stop the cockerel crowing too early, but wouldn't bother for the hens now he's gone.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 06:52:42 am »
Greetings all!  Saw another thread where people were saying buy a shed and then convert it to a hen house.  What exactly would I have to do to "convert" it to a des res?  Thanks in anticipation. 
Not sure this will work but if it does, this is ours.

Weyhey! It worked. We had to make the perches and we've put in a droppings  board under them that slides out.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 06:54:59 am by SteveMo »

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 07:37:05 am »
Great work!! ... I am in the process of trying to find a suitable shed 2nd hand... I used to have my first chickens in a shed with perches etc have tried a couple of other options since then .. the shed was the best :)

Sam

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 08:22:52 am »
Looks good. Nice one!

Will try to post some pics of my converted dog kennel over the weekend.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 09:49:51 am »
Looks good. Nice one!

Will try to post some pics of my converted dog kennel over the weekend.

Ian
Oh, I have one of those too, Ian ;D ;D ;D  My ducks are in that - with a great dane sized dog cage attached so they can come and go but are safe if I have to leave them with my dog sitter.  Will post a photo or two.
Below is my dog kennel/duck shed and small run, inside their bigger run, an they get out to the front half acre to roam every day too, my hen house at the end of the chicken run with the old duck shed at the left hand side - hens get out to roam too.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 08:08:16 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS