Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: mating 'season'  (Read 6641 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
Re: mating 'season'
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 04:29:12 pm »

If you take your goat to anyone with a registered billy, they will want to see a CAE certifictae. This is a bloodtest which ascertains if goat carries this virus. It's a longterm, slow disease, similar to MV in sheep. I think it's very rare in the UK, but most people test whenever the goat goes away for service (and the male should have one too). If you take your goat to the vet he can quickly take a blood sample and send it off, mine cost about £10 if I remember correctly. The certificate is valid for 12 months and also covers the kids for their first year.

If you don't go to pedigree billy you might not need it.

I sponged my goats last year, as with 13 days standstill here in Scotland it is almost impossible to organise kiddings of more than one goat ( to different billies and all in the same month and prior to lambing...). It worked very well, and my two kidded within three days of each other. Again the vet inserted the sponges, and I took them out 12 - 15 days later, and within 36 hours both were in season! Both held service too. (But it might have just been beginners luck...)
Langdon ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS