Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: At what age do you send Fat Lambs  (Read 6301 times)

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
At what age do you send Fat Lambs
« on: July 29, 2010, 11:57:46 am »
To market?

I have been told they could do with being weighed so we know they are the right size but have nothing to weigh them with, our lambs at foot are now not far off the size of the ewes, we bought them at foot on 30th April, they had all lost their tales and the tups had castrated.

We plan to go to the fat lamb sales next week to check how big they are but I thought I would ask here as well.

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
Re: At what age do you send Fat Lambs
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 09:17:08 pm »
you could borrow some scales. It depends on the breed but a normal commercial lamb (Suffolk X) should go when its about 40kg. If they are underweight you coud still get a reasonable price for them as store lambs. It is also good if a batch of lambs is consistant in size and appearance

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 10:00:50 pm »
Have spotted some scales whilst out with my terriers tonight, they belong to our neighbour over the hill, we're planning on inviting them round for Sunday Lunch soon so could be a good agenda point!!

I suppose thats the only way we will know, they are all roughly the same size, maybe one or two a tad smaller, they might be the twins who lost their mum about a month ago though.

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 10:49:10 pm »
Tim Tyne's book on sheep for smallholders does a good job of explaining how to assess sheep and lamb condition scores by feeling the muscle over the projections of the vertebras. it will give you a good idea if they are ready if you cant weigh them.

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 11:00:28 pm »
I am now reading that book its really helpful and would def recomend.

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 11:05:06 pm »
Will seek said book out!

Thank You!

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 07:43:05 am »
Condition scoring is also useful to make sure sheep are not too fat. Some years ago I put some two year old wethers in to the abattoir because I wanted mutton. They had so much fat that they were unsaleable. If I had known then how to condition score I would not have made that mistake.

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 08:39:26 am »
Another recommendation for Tims book here! :)

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 09:07:38 am »
.................and here ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS