Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: animal health inspection  (Read 3678 times)

pointy

• Joined Jul 2010
animal health inspection
« on: July 28, 2010, 09:23:40 pm »
Our first animal health inspection on 6/8 any advice? All my paper work is upto date but pigs not ear tagged as yet, firm sent wrong number on the batch awaiting returns.  :pig:  ???

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
Re: animal health inspection
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 08:35:46 pm »
hi we are new to smallholding and just into it 18 mths now, we had our first inspection a couple of momths ago,
to our surprise!!!! surprised as not in having one we knew we would some day, but we were surprised how early!
first thing first RELAX about it, boy was i on edge leading up to it, i nearly drove me wife mad ;D
as you allready said you got your paper work ready ;) holding no., etc.
just expain about wrong batch no. been sent out to you and they should understand.
have your feed bins labled ( we were advised on this but he never checked, you neva know)
keep any dog or cat food in other area.
have water buckets and buckets if you use them for feeding in sight, they like that ;)
make sure any meds for any animals are kept in suitable place.
then take the day as you would on any other day, oh ya offer a cuppa that worked a treat with the bloke that came to us ;)
as said relax be yourself let your animals be and all should be fine.
good luck and let us know it went.
langdon ;)  :chook: :pig: :goat:
Langdon ;)

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 01:49:48 pm »
We had our first within days of sending our forms in for our first pigs. We must have flagged up as pigs haven't been kept in the village since I was a child. Even the local farmer we went to see for straw was curious about where we were keeping them.
Our inspector was a nice young lass and was actually impressed with how much we already knew we had to do and how much we had done.
Relax. Your paperworks ok, you know you need the tags and have done something about it. I'm sure you've got your feed etc. all sorted.
Ours was also useful to us as we wanted abbatoir recommendations and advice about the whole experience.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 02:08:26 pm »
Relax!  Everyone I know goes through this trauma and you have no need unless you are ill treating your animals!  The bloke who came round to mine, was totally chilled.  Just take you through what you need to provide in the way of paperwork - don't worry too much about tags - as long as they have them before abbatoir time!  Good luck (and he's right about the cuppa tea)

pointy

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 02:21:17 pm »
Inspection went very well, nice young lass, helped by the regulation cuppa. No issues flagged up, she said that she was impressed by my organising skills (at least the NHS has taught me something in the last 40 years) that made my better half choke.

Thanks for the reassuring advice every one.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 03:42:50 pm »
glad it went well for you   :)
Little Blue

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 04:03:20 pm »
Now you can relax and enjoy your pigs  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS