Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Overactive Thyroid  (Read 3331 times)

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Overactive Thyroid
« on: July 28, 2010, 07:48:37 am »
Hi.  Yesterday my 15 year old cat Stella was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism.  Has anyone had a cat with this problem as I think it's quite common, and if so, did they still live a long life on the meds?  I really don't want to go down the route of an operation. Thanks.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Overactive Thyroid
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 05:48:12 pm »
I would imagine if she doesnt have an op, she wil need medication for the rest of her life.
I think it is quite common, but dont have direct experience of it in cats, sorry.

google it, theres a good cat health website, but cant remember what it is...
Little Blue

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 08:14:24 pm »
Hi
My cat Mr Smudge was hyperthyroid and it is pretty common in older cats, I had to have him put to sleep 18mths ago but he had been on Felimazole for 3 maybe 4 years, I didn't have much of an idea how old he was to start with as he was signed over to the vets I worked at as his owners couldn't afford his treatment when he was hit by a car for the 2nd time... silly boy!

As long as you can get the pills down her ok she should do well, pills for life and periodic blood sampling to check theraputic levels of meds.

Have also seen cats do well after having a thyroidectomy, as long as the parathyroid gland is left intact and undamaged there were rarely other complications. If the parathyroid is damaged they had to stay in a couple of days to supplement and stabilise calcium levels.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 08:53:22 pm »
Thank you both.  The pill she is on is tiny and she gets it stuffed into a tiny bit of Kraft cheese slice.  This is perfect for giving pills as it's quite squidgy and you can really disguise it!  :)

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 09:06:59 am »
My old cat was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism when he was about 12 - he is now 20 and still doing ok.
We had the op done but there are 2 thyroid glands and often the second one will go hyper so my advice would be not to bother. My cat is on Neomercazole as he did not do well on Felimazole. But the main thing is getting the pills into them, some cats will and some won't, if yours takes hers in Cheese slices it makes it easy for both of you. :)

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 10:54:55 am »
Thanks BlueDaisy. Good advice. I love the fact that your boy is 20!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS